1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem: Given Angle and Distance

1. Sep 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A baseball leaves the bat at 31 degrees of the horizontal. The ball was caught by an outfielder 400 ft from the home plate. The height where the ball was hit is the same where it was caught by the outfielder.

whats the initial speed of the ball?
    whats the maximum height it reaches?

2. Relevant equations
    1. y = y0 + voyt + (1/2)(g)(t)^2
    2. vy = v0y + (g)t

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is where it got a little messy.
    First off:
    I converted 400 ft to meters getting 121.9 m.
    After that, from the pythagorean theorem: See pic 1.

After, i figured that at the half distance of 121.9m (60.95m) the Vy = 0.
    I then used the theorem of ratio of triangles to find the maximum height would be if gravity is 0. The max height would be 36.6 m. see pic 2.

Since i don't have the time, i got t from equation 2 and substituted it in equation 1. I eventually derived (v0y)^2 (30/196) = y

Substitute y for 36.6m
    i got v0y = 15.46m

and from there I just derived everything else from that number.

v0 = 30 m/s
    max height = 12.17 m

help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Chris

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

The ball does not follow a straight line path along 31 degrees... so you can't use the pythogrean theorem to get the maximum height.

What is the equation for horizontal displacement in terms of time, v0, theta...

What is the equation for vertical displacement in terms of time, v0, theta...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?