Problem I am stuck on, simplifying radicals in denominator again

In summary, the conversation is about a complex number problem involving multiplying a conjugate and the confusion around multiplying by imaginary numbers. The expert explains how to correctly multiply a conjugate and also provides a helpful formula for dividing complex numbers. The conversation also touches on the associative and commutative properties of complex numbers.
GrannySmith
:mad: I really hate these problems.

(2+√7)/(3-√-11). What the heck?

I start out by multiplying both sides with the conjugate again. This is where I am stuck lol. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong while multiplying the conjugate?

(3 - √-11) is the same as 3 - √11i correct? So I multiply (3 - √11i) with (3 + √11i). I don't understand how this goes, but I tried.

3 times 3 is 9.

3 times √11i is 3√11i

-√11i times 3 is -3√11i canceling out 3√11i

-√11i times √11i is -11i? A bit confused on how this works and I'm guessing this is where I made a mistake?

On top we have (2+√7)(3 + √11i).

2 times 3 is 6

2 times √11i is 2√11i

√7 times 3 is 3√7

What would √7 times √11i be? √77i? Can you multiply a normal square root with an imaginary square root?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
GrannySmith said:
-√11i times √11i is -11i? A bit confused on how this works and I'm guessing this is where I made a mistake?

You guess correctly that this is where you made your mistake...

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} -\sqrt{11}i\cdot \sqrt{11}i &= - \left( \sqrt{11} \right) ^2 i^2 \\ &= -11 \left( -1 \right) \\ &= + 11 \end{align*}[/tex]

Good catch, Prove It. I delete my post with incorrect results. This still follows the pattern of $(a-b)(a+b)=(a+b)(a-b)=a^2-b^2$. In this case, $b=i \cdot \sqrt{11}$ thus $-b^2=-i^2(\sqrt{11})^2$, just like you wrote.

Prove It said:
You guess correctly that this is where you made your mistake...

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} -\sqrt{11}i\cdot \sqrt{11}i &= - \left( \sqrt{11} \right) ^2 i^2 \\ &= -11 \left( -1 \right) \\ &= + 11 \end{align*}[/tex]

You're awesome! Makes so much sense now.

(-√6i)(-√14i) would be (√84i^2) correct? Then the i^2 would make it -√84? Just want to make sure I fully understand this.

GrannySmith said:
You're awesome! Makes so much sense now.

(-√6i)(-√14i) would be (√84i^2) correct? Then the i^2 would make it -√84? Just want to make sure I fully understand this.

Yes, but also remember

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sqrt{84} &= \sqrt{ 4 \cdot 21 } \\ &= \sqrt{4} \cdot \sqrt{21} \\ &= 2\sqrt{21} \end{align*}[/tex]

Just a quick note:

With two complex numbers $a+bi$ and $a-bi$ their product is:

$(a+bi)(a-bi) = a^2 - a(bi) + (bi)a - (bi)^2$.

Now the terms $-a(bi)$ and $(bi)a = a(bi)$ cancel, leaving us with:

$a^2 - (bi)^2 = a^2 - b^2i^2 = a^2 - b^2(-1) = a^2 + b^2$.

In other words, a SUM of two (real) squares can be viewed as a DIFFERENCE of two complex squares:

$a^2 + b^2 = a^2 - (bi)^2$

This unusual "trick" is what throws most people off, because we are used to thinking of squares as "always positive" (which is true for real numbers, but NOT for complex numbers, where "positive" doesn't really MEAN anything).

In general:

$\dfrac{1}{a+bi} = \dfrac{a-bi}{a^2+b^2}$

this formula is well worth remembering, since it's a real time-saver:

In your example, to compute:

$\dfrac{1}{3 - \sqrt{-11}} = \dfrac{1}{3 - \sqrt{11}i}$

so we can multiply instead of divide (because let's face it, division is a pain in the a-erm, anterior region)

instead of going through the routine of multiplying by the conjugate top and bottom, we do THIS:

$3^2 = 9$ and $(\sqrt{11})^2 = 11$ and $9 + 11 = 20$

so we have:

$\frac{1}{11}(3 + \sqrt{11}i)$

As for your "multiplication" question, it is true that:

$\sqrt{7}(\sqrt{11}i) = (\sqrt{7}\sqrt{11})i = \sqrt{77}i$

because the complex numbers form a FIELD, and this means that multiplication is associative.

Related to Problem I am stuck on, simplifying radicals in denominator again

1. What is a radical?

A radical is a mathematical expression that includes a root, such as a square root, cube root, or higher root. It is represented by the symbol √ and is used to find the number that, when multiplied by itself a certain number of times, equals the given number inside the radical.

2. Why do we need to simplify radicals in the denominator?

Simplifying radicals in the denominator helps to make mathematical expressions easier to work with and understand. It also allows us to find the exact value of an expression, rather than an approximation.

3. How do you simplify radicals in the denominator?

To simplify radicals in the denominator, you need to first divide the numerator and denominator by the largest perfect square that is a factor of both. Then, you can simplify the remaining radical in the denominator by finding the perfect square factors and moving them to the outside of the radical symbol.

4. Can you provide an example of simplifying radicals in the denominator?

For example, if we have the expression √27/√12, we can divide both the numerator and denominator by 3, as 3 is the largest perfect square factor of both 27 and 12. This gives us (√9 * √3)/ (√4 * √3). We can then simplify further by moving the perfect square factors to the outside, giving us 3√3/2.

5. Why is it important to check for extraneous solutions when simplifying radicals in the denominator?

When simplifying radicals in the denominator, it is important to check for extraneous solutions because sometimes a simplified expression may appear to have a different solution than the original expression. This can happen if the original expression has a denominator that is equal to 0, which is not allowed in mathematics. Checking for extraneous solutions helps to ensure that our final answer is accurate and valid.