Problem in similarity of triangles

• Thread starter agnibho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangles
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove that PQ is parallel to AD in a parallelogram ABCD. The attempt at a solution involved drawing a diagram and using alternate interior angles to show that triangle DQC is similar to triangle FQE. However, the next step is still unclear. A hint was given to consider the connection between the top and bottom halves of the diagram, specifically the length of EF.
agnibho

Homework Statement

ABCD is a parallelogram. E, F are points on the straight line parallel to AB. AF, BF meet at P, and DE, CF meet at Q. Prove that PQ ll AD.

2. The attempt at a solution
I drew the diagram.
maths.JPG

I tried to solve the problem in this way:-
CD ll XY Therefore, angleCDE = angleDEF (alternate interior angles)
Also, angleDCF = angleCFE (alt. int. angles)

Hence, triangle DQC is similar to triangle FQE
So, DQ/QE = CQ/QF

After this I felt at a loss. I couldn't figure out the next step. I thought that if I could anyhow prove that the angleEQP = angleEDA, then I could've said that they are equal but they are corresponding angles and hence I could've proved PQ ll AD.

Someone please help me with the next step .

Physics news on Phys.org
hi agnibho! :smile:

(btw, that's a bad diagram … you should have drawn it so that DE is obviously not parallel to BF :wink:)
agnibho said:
CD ll XY Therefore, angleCDE = angleDEF (alternate interior angles)
Also, angleDCF = angleCFE (alt. int. angles)

Hence, triangle DQC is similar to triangle FQE
So, DQ/QE = CQ/QF

hint: you haven't yet used any connection between the top and bottom halves of the diagram :wink:

All right...I will try that...and about the parallel issue I think I really did a mistake there!:biggrin:

But what about the hint?? Did you mean to say that I can use the alternate angles theorem again for the connection too??:confused:

i was thinking about the length of EF (which is shared between the top and bottom halves of the figure) wink:

What is the definition of similarity of triangles?

The similarity of triangles is a mathematical concept where two or more triangles have identical shape, but may differ in size. In other words, the angles of the triangles are equal and the corresponding sides are in proportion.

How can we determine if two triangles are similar?

Two triangles are similar if their corresponding angles are equal and their corresponding sides are in proportion. This can be determined using the AA (angle-angle) or SAS (side-angle-side) similarity criteria.

What is the significance of similarity of triangles in geometry?

Similarity of triangles is important in geometry because it allows us to solve problems involving proportional relationships, such as finding missing side lengths or angles. It also helps us understand and prove various geometric theorems.

What is the difference between congruent and similar triangles?

Congruent triangles have identical shape and size, while similar triangles have identical shape but may differ in size. Congruent triangles have all corresponding angles and sides equal, while similar triangles only have corresponding angles equal and their corresponding sides are in proportion.

What are some real-life applications of similarity of triangles?

Similarity of triangles is used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and cartography. It is also used in creating scale models of real-life objects, calculating distances and heights, and in the construction and design of objects such as bridges and buildings.