Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem installing VLC player after download

1. Dec 5, 2007 #1

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's the problem.

I'm trying to download and install VLC player. I can download it fine, but when I try to install it, it just shuts after like 3-5 seconds into the installation process, which is roughly where you say "I Agree to the terms.", so technically it didn't even start to install.

I try to install Spybot, same problem.

I try to install DivX, same problem.

I even went to online virus scanners, and the browser just shuts off before scanning even begins!

How do I stop this?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2

dst

4. Dec 5, 2007 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That doesn't tell me what it is.

I don't know enough to figure it out.

5. Dec 5, 2007 #4
    yes this could be a virus/malware. I've heard of some that close programs whenever it detects the word "virus". Try a doing a system restore or installing the antivirus and spybot in safemode or DOS.

6. Dec 5, 2007 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'll just re-format my computer. That'll get rid of it.

7. Dec 9, 2007 #6

ranger

Gold Member

8. Dec 10, 2007 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You may also simply have a broken Windows installer component. This actually happens more commonly than you think. If an application installs halfway and then the installer crashes, it can leave the Windows installer system (MSI) in an invalid state, and every later installation will fail for dubious reasons.

Try using system restore to go back a few steps and see if the installer system gets fixed.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?