Problem involving partial derivatives.

In summary, the problem involves finding dz given specific values for x, y, dx, and dy. The conversation includes a method for finding dz using partial derivatives, but the calculated value does not match the given answer, indicating a mistake in the calculation. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement of the error and gratitude for the help.
finchie_88
This is the problem word for word out of my textbook:

Given that [tex] z = \frac{x^3 + y^3}{x - y} [/tex], x = 10, y = 8, dx = 2, dy = -3, find dz.

Hopefully, someone can tell me where my error(s) are.
This is my method:
[tex] z = \frac{x^3 + y^3}{x - y} [/tex]
[tex] \therefore z = x^3(x-y)^{-1} + y^3(x-y)^{-1} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{x}} = 3x^2(x-y)^{-1} - x^3(x-y)^{-2} - y^3(x - y)^{-2} [/tex] There is a good chance that this is the wrong bit, but I can't see where. I'll show where this came from at the end.

[tex] \frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{y}} = 3y^2(x-y)^{-1} + y^3(x-y)^{-2} + x^3(x - y)^{-2} [/tex]

There is a good chance that this is the wrong bit, but I can't see where. I'll show where this came from at the end.

[tex] \text{Since } dz = \frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{x}}dx + \frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{y}}dy[/tex]

It means that the value of dz given what I have worked out, and given the information given, dz = -366, but the answer is -1878, so where have I gone wrong?

How I got the above pd's:

[tex] \text{Let } z_1 = x^3(x - y)^{-1} => \pd{z_1}{x} = 3x^2(x - y)^{-1} - x^3(x - y)^{-2} [/tex]
[tex] \text{Let } z_2 = y^3(x - y)^{-1} [/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{x}} = -y^3(x - y)^{-2} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{x}} = \frac{\partial{z_1}}{\partial{x}} + \frac{\partial{z_2}}{\partial{x}} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{x}} = 3x^2(x - y)^{-1} - x^3(x - y)^{-2} - y^3(x - y)^{-2} [/tex]

[tex] \text{Let } z_1 = x^3(x - y)^-1 \text{ then, I got: } \frac{\partial{z_1}}{\partial{x}} = x^3(x - y)^{-2} [/tex]
[tex] \text{Let } z_2 = 3y^2(x - y)^{-1} + y^3(x - y)^{-2} => \frac{\partial{z_2}}{\partial{y}} = -y^3(x - y)^{-2} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{y}} = \pd{z_1}{y} + \pd{z_2}{y} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{y}} = 3y^2(x - y)^{-1} + y^3(x - y)^{-2} + x^3(x - y)^{-2}[/tex]

Thank you, and if you get to this point without getting bored, congratulations! Any kind of help would be kind.:biggrin:

Sorry, it took me a few edits to get the maths readable, even now its not perfect, but oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Frankly, the error must be in your calculation. The derivation is correct. I performed the calculation with the given numbers and got -1878.

I can't believe that I made a mistake like that:grumpy: . *sigh*, oh well, thank you for helping me.

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A partial derivative differs from a regular derivative in that it only considers the change in one variable while holding the others constant, whereas a regular derivative considers the change in the entire function.

3. When are partial derivatives used in science?

Partial derivatives are used in science when studying multivariable systems, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. They allow scientists to analyze the sensitivity of a system to small changes in its variables.

4. How is a partial derivative calculated?

A partial derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of a function with respect to one variable, while treating all other variables as constants. This results in a new function that represents the rate of change of the original function with respect to the chosen variable.

5. What are some real-world applications of partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives have many practical applications, such as in optimization problems, determining critical points, and finding local extrema. They are also used in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to analyze the behavior of complex systems.