Problem - Newton's second law applied to uniform circular motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving circular motion and how to properly determine the direction of the centripetal acceleration and static friction force. The experts clarify that the direction of these forces is always towards the center of the circle and that the signs of the vectors cancel out. The conversation also mentions that the direction of these forces does not need to be explicitly stated in the plane containing the circle as long as the motion is uniform.
opticaltempest
Here is the problem I am working on:

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/5566/image0002bv6.jpg

Here is my work:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/7127/image0001zy6.jpg

I cannot solve (2) for v since there are no real roots.

When I set up the net forces in the x-direction in (1), should I have made [tex]ma_c[/tex] negative? I think it makes sense if [tex]ma_c[/tex] is negative because it tells us that the acceleration vector is always pointing in the negative x-direction.

In all of the other Newton's second law problems, I never had to make the side with [tex]ma[/tex] negative. Why in this problem must I now specify the sign of the acceleration?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The minus sign just signifies direction. If the friction is negative, so is the acceleration. [itex]v^2/r [/itex] gives the magnitude of the acceleration, not the direction.

Unless I'm missing something, the friction should point in the opposite direction, which is the answer to your problem. The force of friction always has a direction opposite to the direction of motion (or, in this case, to the direction of a force which would cause such motion).

opticaltempest said:
When I set up the net forces in the x-direction in (1), should I have made [tex]ma_c[/tex] negative? I think it makes sense if [tex]ma_c[/tex] is negative because it tells us that the acceleration vector is always pointing in the negative x-direction.
In circular motion, the acceleration does NOT always point in any direction. The centripetal accelration always points toward the center of the circle, hence the direction keeps changing. Just toss the negative anyhow, since you are only solving for the magnitude. When informing the direction, all that's needed is "toward the center of the circle."

Radou:

In this problem I assumed the truck was driving in a counterclockwise circle, therefore the force preventing the truck from moving in a straight line was the inward pointing [tex]f_s[/tex].

Doc Al and Chi Meson:

I think that cleared up my mistake.

So, on these specific types of problems I should not worry about including the direction of the static friction force and the direction of the centripetal acceleration in the plane containing the circle (since we already know the static friction force vector and centripetal acceleration vector always points inward at every point along the circle assuming we have uniform circular motion / constant speed)?

If two vectors point in the same direction, they are either both negative or both positive (depending upon your choice of coordinate system). Either way, the signs cancel. If left is negative, and the acceleration points left, then the centripetal acceleration (including proper sign) is [itex]-v^2/r[/itex], not [itex]v^2/r[/itex].

Last edited:

1. What is Newton's second law applied to uniform circular motion?

Newton's second law states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of uniform circular motion, the object is constantly changing direction, so its velocity is changing. This means there must be a net force acting on the object, which is directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How is Newton's second law applied to uniform circular motion?

The net force acting on an object in uniform circular motion is known as the centripetal force, which is directed towards the center of the circle. This force is responsible for keeping the object in its circular path, and its magnitude can be calculated using the equation F = m * v^2 / r, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

3. What is the relationship between force and acceleration in uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the force and acceleration are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the force increases, the acceleration also increases, and vice versa. However, the direction of the acceleration is always towards the center of the circle, perpendicular to the object's velocity.

4. Can the speed of an object in uniform circular motion be constant?

No, the speed of an object in uniform circular motion cannot be constant. Since the object is constantly changing direction, its velocity is also changing, meaning that its speed is not constant. However, the magnitude of the velocity can remain constant if the object is moving at a constant speed around the circle.

5. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the magnitude of the velocity remains constant, while the direction of the velocity is constantly changing. In non-uniform circular motion, both the magnitude and direction of the velocity are changing. This means that the speed and acceleration are also changing in non-uniform circular motion, while they remain constant in uniform circular motion.