Problem regarding refraction of light question

In summary, The conversation is about a question involving total internal reflection and the use of Snell's law. The question is not specified for a particular class. The asker has tried solving the problem but is unable to apply trigonometry to angle A for the prism. The responder suggests knowing Snell's law and asks for more information about the problem to be able to help. The asker is unsure about the number of angles involved in the question.
silvercrow
I have a problem in this question ... and i can't get an answer . Also please mention for which class is this question meant for if you know :) .

I tried solving it but can't apply trygnometery to the angle A for the prism .

P.S: I couldn't find the homework forum so i asked here :) .

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350442326701.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350442326701.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
What did you try so far? What is the relation between angle of incidence and angle of refraction?

ehild

Only this id given in the question . I can't even start . Only its a example of total internal reflection .

I know snells law. Can you do the question ?

silvercrow said:
I know snells law. Can you do the question ?

It is supposed that you show what you tried so far and where you are stuck. Is there only one angle so no ray emerges from the face AC?

ehild

Last edited:
I don't know . The only data i know is in the picture

1. What is refraction of light?

Refraction of light is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. This is caused by a change in the speed of light as it travels from one medium to another.

2. Why does refraction occur?

Refraction occurs due to the change in the speed of light as it travels from one medium to another. This change in speed causes the light to bend, as different mediums have different densities and therefore affect the speed of light differently.

3. What is the law of refraction?

The law of refraction, also known as Snell's law, states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speeds of light in the two mediums. This can be represented by the equation sin θ1/sin θ2 = v1/v2, where θ1 is the angle of incidence, θ2 is the angle of refraction, v1 is the speed of light in the first medium, and v2 is the speed of light in the second medium.

4. How does refraction affect the appearance of objects?

Refraction can cause objects to appear distorted or shifted when viewed through different mediums. This is because the light rays from the object are bent as they pass through the medium, changing the direction in which they travel. This can result in a change in the apparent size, shape, and position of the object.

5. What are some real-life applications of refraction?

Refraction has many practical applications, such as the functioning of lenses in glasses and cameras, the formation of rainbows, and the bending of light in optical fibers for communication. It is also used in the design of telescopes, microscopes, and other optical instruments.