Problem solving for current in parallel resistors

In summary, the student is struggling with finding the current passing through individual resistors in parallel circuits. They are aware of the equations I=V/R and the fact that voltage is divided equally between branches in parallel circuits. However, they are unsure of what resistance to use when finding the current. The correct approach is to combine the parallel resistances into a single resistance and then use either the current divider rule or find the potential drop across the new resistor to determine the current in the circuit.
Kavorka

Homework Statement

I am able to solve most of the DC circuit problems we're given, but I seem to be missing something conceptually when it comes to finding current that passes through individual resistors when they are in parallel. An example problem would be #10 at this link:

http://www.ahsd.org/science/stroyan/APPhysics/ch17/apc1718wq/APC17WQ4.HTM

Where the correct answer is 1.2 A.

2. Homework Equations

I know that I = V/R, and that in parallel resistors the voltage is divided equally between branches and the voltage in each branch is equal to the original, which is 15 V in this case.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm not sure is what resistance to plug in. According to the problem the resistance to use would be 12.5 ohms (R = V/I = 15 V / 1.2 A). I have no idea where this equivalent resistance came from and why it's used for the 2.7 ohm resistor. Any pointers would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kavorka said:
I know that I = V/R, and that in parallel resistors the voltage is divided equally between branches and the voltage in each branch is equal to the original, which is 15 V in this case.
Ah. Well the problem is that is not true (the 15 V statement). Current passing from A to B passes through the 3.2 and 3.6 Ohm resistors, too, and they will both cause a potential drop. So your parallel paths will not have a 15 V potential across them but something less depending upon the drops on those resistors.

One way to proceed would be to (temporarily) combine the parallel resistances into a single resistance and determine the current in the circuit. Then you can either use that current to find the potential drop across this new resistor, hence the potential difference for the original parallel connection, or you can use the current divider rule.

1. How do you calculate the total current in a parallel circuit?

The total current in a parallel circuit is calculated by adding the individual currents of each branch. This is because the current has multiple paths to flow through, so it splits up and flows through each branch separately.

2. What is the formula for finding the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

The formula for finding the total resistance in a parallel circuit is 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, ... Rn are the individual resistances in each branch.

3. How does the voltage affect the current in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same across each branch, so it does not affect the current. The current is determined by the individual resistances in each branch and the total voltage of the circuit.

4. What happens to the total current when a new resistor is added in parallel?

When a new resistor is added in parallel, the total current increases, as there is now an additional path for the current to flow through. This is because the total resistance of the circuit decreases when a new resistor is added in parallel.

5. How do you find the individual currents in a parallel circuit?

To find the individual currents in a parallel circuit, you can use Ohm's law (I = V/R) for each branch. The voltage will be the same for each branch, and the resistance for each branch can be calculated using the total resistance formula mentioned earlier.