Problem solving state change exercise

In summary, the conversation was about determining the heat addition needed to bring a piston-cylinder device containing 5 kg of saturated-liquid water at 100 kPa to a saturated-vapor state. The participants discussed using the first law and picking internal energy values from a table, but were not finding the correct answer. One person suggested considering the piston movement and using the formula Q=ΔU+W, where W represents work done by the system. The original poster mentioned that the answer should be around 11 kJ/kg.
M Wierckx
Hi everybody,

I'm having a problem with the following question:

A piston-cylinder device originally contains 5 kg of saturated-liquid water at 100 kPa. Determine the heat addition required to bring the fluid to a saturated-vapor state.

Using the first law.. i was thinking the following:

1Q2 = 1W2 + (U2 - U1)

U2 and U1 could be found in the table of liquid water with a pressure of 100 kPa, with U2 being Saturated vapor (Ug) and U1 saturated liquid (Uf).

The W (work) part I was thinking about the P x (V2-V1) again using the table, V2 being sat. vapor (vg) and V1 being sat. liquid (vf)

Doing this I'm not finding the right answer.. can anybody help me solving this and telling me which step I'm taking wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the piston isn't rising there isn't any work being done so w=0 and q= ΔU. See if that works. I would pick Internal Energy values off of a Saturated Water: Pressure Table.

I think the piston can be moved, or else they would have made it a rigid tank.. I tried leaving the W out and making Q equal to U2-U1, but this is not correct.. The answer has to be eleven dot something (11,...kJ/kg).. but thanks for the reply!

For a constant batch system Q=ΔU+W where W= P(Vg-Vf)

I understand that problem solving can be a challenging and complex process. In this case, it seems that you are on the right track by using the first law of thermodynamics and the properties of water at different states. However, there are a few things that could be causing your answer to be incorrect.

First, make sure that you are using the correct units for all the values in your calculations. The properties of water in the table may be listed in different units than what is needed for the equation. Double check to ensure consistency in units.

Secondly, be sure to consider the energy balance in the system. In this case, the heat added to the system is equal to the change in internal energy plus the work done on the system. It is important to consider both the internal energy and work terms in your equation.

Lastly, it is always helpful to double check your calculations and make sure that you are using the correct values from the table. It is possible that a small error in inputting the values could result in a significant difference in the final answer.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction and leads to a successful solution to the problem. Don't be discouraged, problem solving is a skill that takes practice and patience. Keep at it and you will find the correct answer.

1. What is a problem solving state change exercise?

A problem solving state change exercise is a cognitive exercise that involves identifying a problem, brainstorming potential solutions, and then implementing a change in thinking or behavior to address the problem. It is a structured process that helps individuals or groups overcome challenges or obstacles.

2. How do I know when to use a problem solving state change exercise?

A problem solving state change exercise can be used in a variety of situations, such as when facing a difficult decision, dealing with conflict, or trying to find a creative solution to a problem. It can also be used as a general practice to improve critical thinking and decision-making skills.

3. What are the benefits of using a problem solving state change exercise?

There are several benefits to using a problem solving state change exercise, including improved problem-solving skills, increased self-awareness, enhanced creativity, and better decision-making abilities. It can also help individuals or groups overcome mental blocks and find new perspectives on a problem.

4. How do I conduct a problem solving state change exercise?

To conduct a problem solving state change exercise, start by identifying the problem and setting a goal for the exercise. Then, brainstorm potential solutions, considering all ideas without judgment. Next, evaluate the potential solutions and choose the best one. Finally, implement the chosen solution and reflect on the outcome.

5. Can a problem solving state change exercise be done alone or does it require a group?

A problem solving state change exercise can be done both alone and in a group. While working alone allows for more introspection and self-discovery, working in a group can provide different perspectives and ideas. Both approaches can be effective, so it is up to the individual or group to decide which is most suitable for the situation.