Thermofluids question, saturated water, piston-cylinder.

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a question about a saturated water mixture in a piston-cylinder device. The initial state is given with volume, quality, and pressure values, and heat is then introduced until the piston hits the stopper and the pressure reaches 200 kPa. The solution involves finding the initial temperature and mass of the liquid, which are calculated using the saturated water table and specific volume. The final state is determined to be superheated vapor at approximately 740 degrees Celsius. The conversation also discusses the possibility of using the specific volume at the point when the piston hits the stopper to determine the state, but it is noted that there is not enough information to do so accurately.
CeilingFan

Homework Statement

[/B]
Hi, not sure if I posted this in the correct section... I have a solution, but am unsure if I am correct in going about it. The answer is not given, so I am having trouble figuring if I'm right or not.

Anyway, the question goes like this.

Saturated water mixture initially in a piston-cylinder device with a stopper.

Initial state: Volume, V1 = 0.00078539 m^3
Quality, x = 0.85
Pressure, P1 = 125 kPa

Heat is then introduced, after which the piston hits the stopper. The heating is continued until the pressure reaches 200 kPa.

Final state: Volume, V2 = 2Vi = 0.00157079
Pressure, P2 = 200 kPa

a) Find the initial temperature and mass of the liquid.

b) How is the final state, and what is its temperature?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
a) I used the provided saturated water table, to find Tsat for P = 125 kPa, and got 105.97C.

For the mass of the liquid, I used x = (v1 - vf) / (vg - vf), where required values are retrieved from the table.

which gave v1 = 1.1689 m^3/kg

Mass of entire mixture, mt = V1/v1 = 0.00067191 kg

x = (mt - mL) / mt

mL = 0.00010078 kg

b) For the final state, I checked the saturated table for P = 200 kPa and found that the specific volume of the substance in question is more than that of saturated vapor at 200 kPa, so using that logic I deduced the final state to be superheated vapor.

v2 = V2 / mt

The temperature is then interpolated from the superheated vapor table at 200 kPa using the specific volume.

It was about 740 degrees celcius.

** Additional thought

Also, if the question required me to think about the state just as the piston hits the stopper, do I use P = 125 kPa, to find the specific volume and compare it with that in the saturated water table? So if v > v of gas --> superheated vapor?

Physics news on Phys.org
I checked your solution, and it is correct. As far as your additional thought is concerned, you don't have enough information. You do know the average specific volume when it hits the stopper, but you don't know what the temperature or the pressure is.

Chet

1. What is a thermofluids question?

A thermofluids question is a question that involves the study of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics. This can include topics such as heat transfer, thermodynamic cycles, and fluid flow.

2. What is saturated water?

Saturated water is water that exists in a state where it is at equilibrium with its vapor. This means that the liquid and vapor phases of water coexist at a specific temperature and pressure.

3. What is a piston-cylinder?

A piston-cylinder is a device used to study thermodynamic processes. It consists of a cylinder with a movable piston that can compress or expand a gas or liquid inside the cylinder.

4. How is thermofluids related to engineering?

Thermofluids is a fundamental subject in engineering that helps us understand how heat and energy are transferred and how fluids behave. This knowledge is essential in the design and operation of various engineering systems, such as power plants, engines, and heating and cooling systems.

5. Can you give an example of a thermofluids question related to saturated water and piston-cylinder?

An example of a thermofluids question related to saturated water and piston-cylinder could be: "What is the maximum work that can be obtained from a reversible isothermal expansion of saturated water in a piston-cylinder at a constant pressure of 1 bar?"