Problem understanding Wigner's 1939 paper

• Thread starter facenian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, if a subspace A is invariant with respect to a linear operator, then it is also invariant with respect to the inverse operator, as long as the linear operator is invertible and maps A onto A. However, in an infinite dimensional space, this may not always be true and additional assumptions are needed for invariance to hold. This was clarified in Wigner's paper "B. Some immediate simplifications" page 13.
facenian
if subspace A is invariant with respect to a linear operator, is it true that A is invariant with respect to the inverse operator? if not I think threre is a mistake in Wigners paper in "B. Some immediate simplifications" page 13

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry it's my mistake, I didn't read well. At the beginning of the paragraph he says that the subspace is invariant under all lorentz transformation then it must be invariant for [itex]D(L^{-1})[/itex] too

facenian said:
if subspace A is invariant with respect to a linear operator, is it true that A is invariant with respect to the inverse operator?
Yes, if the linear operator is invertible and maps A onto A.

Last edited:
A. Neumaier said:
Yes, if the linear operator is invertible (and hence maps A onto A).
If invariant is defined as ##T(A) \subseteq A##, then I think this isn't necessarily true in an infinite dimensional space.

Samy_A said:
If invariant is defined as ##T(A) \subseteq A##, then I think this isn't necessarily true in an infinite dimensional space.
Indeed. In infinite dimensions you need to assume more. I corrected my statement accordingly.

1. What is Wigner's 1939 paper about?

Wigner's 1939 paper, titled "On the Measurement of Quantum-Mechanical Operators", addresses the issue of how to measure physical quantities in the quantum mechanics framework. It introduces the concept of "Wigner's friend" as a way to understand the role of the observer in quantum measurements.

2. Why is Wigner's 1939 paper important?

Wigner's 1939 paper is considered a groundbreaking contribution to the field of quantum mechanics. It highlights the fundamental role of the observer in the measurement process and raises important questions about the nature of reality and the limitations of our understanding of the quantum world.

3. What is the main idea behind Wigner's friend thought experiment?

In Wigner's friend thought experiment, two observers (Wigner and his friend) are each performing a measurement on a quantum system. The experiment shows that the measurement outcomes can be different depending on the observer's perspective, raising questions about the role of the observer in creating reality and the role of consciousness in quantum mechanics.

4. How does Wigner's 1939 paper relate to the uncertainty principle?

Wigner's 1939 paper highlights the issue of measurement in quantum mechanics and how it is affected by the uncertainty principle. It shows that the act of measurement itself can alter the state of the system, making it difficult to determine the exact values of physical quantities at the same time.

5. What are the implications of Wigner's 1939 paper?

Wigner's 1939 paper has sparked ongoing debates and discussions about the interpretation of quantum mechanics and the role of the observer in creating reality. It has also influenced further research and developments in the field, such as the development of the Many-Worlds interpretation and quantum computing.