Wigner-Eckart theorem and reduced matrix element

In summary, the Wigner-Eckart theorem evaluates one matrix element of a component of a spherical tensor and the reduced matrix element is used to calculate all other matrix elements by dividing it by the corresponding Clebsch-Gordan coefficient. This makes it easier to calculate the matrix elements and understand the properties of spherical tensors.
Tilde90
Wigner-Eckart theorem and "reduced matrix element"

Hello,

I am studying the Wigner-Eckart theorem and I have found some difficulties understanding the reduced matrix element of a spherical tensor.
In fact, a spherical tensor is commonly defined through its transformation properties, and I imagine it as a "vector of angular operators": the Wigner-Eckart theorem evaluates one matrix element of a component of this vector. However, I cannot understand the meaning of the reduced matrix element involved in the expression of the theorem.
Please, could you explain to me the "idea" behind it, or where is the mistake in my idea of spherical tensors (if there is a mistake)?

Thank you very much for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have same problems

The point is that you only have to calculate only one matrix element -- in most cases, the one with maximal ##M_J## is easiest to calculate -- divide it by the corresponding Clebsch-Gordan coefficient to get the reduced matrix element. From this you can calculate all the other matrix elements by multiplication with the corresponding CG coefficients.

Thank you
DrDu said:
The point is that you only have to calculate only one matrix element -- in most cases, the one with maximal ##M_J## is easiest to calculate -- divide it by the corresponding Clebsch-Gordan coefficient to get the reduced matrix element. From this you can calculate all the other matrix elements by multiplication with the corresponding CG coefficients.
Thank you do you have problems for this theory

1. What is the Wigner-Eckart theorem and reduced matrix element?

The Wigner-Eckart theorem is a mathematical theorem that describes the behavior of certain operators in quantum mechanics, particularly those related to symmetry. The reduced matrix element is a quantity that appears in the Wigner-Eckart theorem and is used to simplify calculations in quantum mechanics.

2. How is the Wigner-Eckart theorem used in physics?

The Wigner-Eckart theorem is used to calculate matrix elements for operators that are related to symmetry transformations. This allows physicists to simplify complex calculations and better understand the behavior of quantum systems.

3. What is the relationship between the Wigner-Eckart theorem and the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

The Wigner-Eckart theorem and the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are both used to describe the behavior of operators in quantum mechanics. The Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are used to calculate matrix elements for operators that are related to angular momentum, while the Wigner-Eckart theorem is used for operators related to symmetry.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the Wigner-Eckart theorem?

Yes, the Wigner-Eckart theorem has many applications in physics, particularly in the study of atomic and molecular systems. It is also used in fields such as nuclear physics and solid-state physics.

5. How does the Wigner-Eckart theorem relate to the concept of quantum entanglement?

The Wigner-Eckart theorem is often used to study the behavior of entangled quantum systems, particularly in cases where the systems exhibit symmetry. It allows researchers to better understand and manipulate entanglement in quantum systems.