Problem with making a wavefunction for two particles

In summary: You can think of it as the direction of the wavefunction's oscillation. For a particle with spin 0, the wavefunction is always spinning in the same direction. (This is why you always see spin particles depicted with their heads pointing in the same direction - the wavefunction always oscillates in the same direction.) The spin state for a particle with spin 0 is just the ground state with the spin rotated by 90 degrees. (So s=0 is equivalent to g=0.) -DanSpin just doesn't come in at... well, spin. You can think of it as the direction of the wavefunction's oscillation. For a particle with spin 0,
mathlete
OK - the question gives me two bosons with 0 spin (and the wavefunctions/energy levels) and tells me to find the total wavefunction and energy for the ground state and first excited state.

Now, I know the total wavefunction must be symmetric. I know the symmetric spatial part. But the spin part, I'm having some problems with. There is only one spin state (since s=0), correct? Now what I do not understand is:

- What is the spin state for s=0?
- Is this spin state symmetric or antisymmetric?
- Does the spin state change going from the ground to the excited state?
- How do I combine it with the spatial part? Just multiply the two together?

Sorry for the many questions but I can't find any of this in my book, it pretty much skips the role of the spin part altogether.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathlete said:
OK - the question gives me two bosons with 0 spin (and the wavefunctions/energy levels) and tells me to find the total wavefunction and energy for the ground state and first excited state.

Now, I know the total wavefunction must be symmetric. I know the symmetric spatial part. But the spin part, I'm having some problems with. There is only one spin state (since s=0), correct? Now what I do not understand is:

Sorry for the many questions but I can't find any of this in my book, it pretty much skips the role of the spin part altogether.

Yes, the spin 0 wavefunction is symmetric since it is an even parity state. Spin wavefunctions are simply multiplied onto the spatial wavefunction. (If you were using kets, then the ket space would be a direct product of the waveket and spinket spaces.)

As far as the excited state is concerned, if you are dealing with elementary spin 0 particles, any system you create will also have spin 0, no matter what the energy state is. If your particles are composite (like pions) this need not be true.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Yes, the spin 0 wavefunction is symmetric since it is an even parity state. Spin wavefunctions are simply multiplied onto the spatial wavefunction. (If you were using kets, then the ket space would be a direct product of the waveket and spinket spaces.)

As far as the excited state is concerned, if you are dealing with elementary spin 0 particles, any system you create will also have spin 0, no matter what the energy state is. If your particles are composite (like pions) this need not be true.

-Dan
Thanks! That's basically what I thought.

Now I have a problem with the excited states... there should be no triplet, correct (since the bosons both of 0 spin only have one spin state). Why wouldn't it just be the same as the ground state with n=2 plugged into the wavefunction instead of n=1 (which represents the ground state)?

Last edited:
Also, a bit of an unrelated question... what exactly is the difference in notation between the electron configuration (npn'p) and (np, n'p)?

mathlete said:
Thanks! That's basically what I thought.

Now I have a problem with the excited states... there should be no triplet, correct (since the bosons both of 0 spin only have one spin state). Why wouldn't it just be the same as the ground state with n=2 plugged into the wavefunction instead of n=1 (which represents the ground state)?

That is correct, the triplet and singlet states only occur when combining two spin 1/2 particles.

As I said unless there is some reason for the spin wavefunction to depend on the energy of the particle (and I can't think of a reason why there would be for a spin 0 elementary particle) then the only variation in the overall wavefunction is going to be due to the spatial part.

-Dan

mathlete said:

Spin just doesn't come in at all.

What is a wavefunction for two particles?

A wavefunction for two particles is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a system composed of two particles. It contains information about the position, momentum, and other properties of both particles in the system.

Why is there a problem with making a wavefunction for two particles?

The problem with making a wavefunction for two particles arises from the fact that particles in quantum mechanics can exhibit a phenomenon called entanglement, where their properties become intertwined and cannot be described independently. This makes it difficult to create a single wavefunction that accurately describes both particles.

How do scientists attempt to solve the problem of creating a wavefunction for two particles?

Scientists use various mathematical techniques, such as the Schrödinger equation and the Pauli exclusion principle, to try to create a wavefunction that accurately describes the quantum state of a system with two particles. They also use experiments and observations to refine and validate their theories.

What are some applications of the wavefunction for two particles?

The wavefunction for two particles is used in many areas of quantum mechanics, including understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, developing new technologies such as quantum computing and cryptography, and studying the fundamental principles of the universe.

Is there a universal wavefunction that can accurately describe any system with two particles?

No, there is no universal wavefunction that can accurately describe any system with two particles. The complexity of quantum systems makes it impossible to create a single, all-encompassing wavefunction. Instead, scientists must use different approaches and techniques to create wavefunctions that are specific to each system they are studying.