1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with non-commutative functions(quantum mechanics)

1. Apr 8, 2012 #1
    1. I am working through E.Merzbacher quantum mechanics. The problem is;
    if G(λ) =eλAeλB for two operators A and B, show that
    dG/dλ=[A+B+λ[A,B]/1!+λ2[A,[A,B]]/2!+.............]G

2. [A,B] is taken to mean AB-BA

3. The only way I can think of proving this is by taylor expanding G(λ) and then differentiang each term in the expansion with respect to λ; this has not worked! Can anyone please help!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2012 #2
    Just to expand on my attempt at a solution so far, which I think is barking up the wrong tree even though it seems close is;
    1) taylor expand G(λ) at f(0) I get

G=1+λ[A+B]+λ2(A2+2AB+B2)/2!+.....
    =1+λ[A+B]+λ2(A+B)2/2!+λ3(A+B)3/3!
    and then what makes this tempting is that differentiating with respect to λ I get
    dG/dλ=[A+B]+λ(A+B)2/1!+λ2(A+B)3/2!

Why I am sure this is the wrong approach is that;
    1. the whole expansion is supposed to be multiplied by G, which clearly it is not
    2. I have no idea if the (A+B)2, (A+B)3 can be expressed it the commutative notation [A,B], [A,[A,B]] etc. probably not so back to square one.

4. Apr 10, 2012 #3
    be more careful when expanding quadratics since (A+B)(A+B) = A^2 +AB +BA +B^2 = A^2 +[A,B] +2BA +B^2

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  5. Apr 11, 2012 #4
    Sorry perhaps I was unclear, I know that the quadratic expansions do not equal where I am (was) trying to get.
    Anyway I have since cracked it. The procedure is to use the prouct rule to get dG/dλ. You then multiply by eλbe-λb. You end up with
    dG/dλ=[B+eλbAe-λb]G
    The term eλbAe-λb] is an identity provided in the textbook. Substitution of this identity gives the result. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook