1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archived Problem with non linear increase in voltage/amperage

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Please try to keep this simple, I'm only fourteen. I was testing thermometric generators and the voltage and amperage generated at with increased efficiency. I noticed that when I increase the number of generators per circuit, the voltage increase slowed and the amperage increase accelerated. The two were inversely proportional to each other. Does anyone know why the voltage increase slowed down?

I was using .22 gauge iron wire and .22 gauge constantan wire, at a temperature of 353 K.

I have linked an image to the graphs from the experiment.

http://i.imgur.com/4sPIjsG.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Adding a generator increases the output voltage and if the load is resistive that increases the current. If the generators have significant internal resistance then the increasing current reduces the voltage all of them deliver not just the new one. That could explain why the voltage increase slows down.

However it doesn't explain why the current increase accelerated. It only explains why the current increases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted