Question about bistable multivibrator op amps

In summary, the conversation is about a lab involving a bistable multivibrator and observing its transfer characteristics. The output graph shows a slightly slanted transition from negative to positive voltage, and the cause of this is discussed in terms of the speed at which the input voltage changes. Slowing down the input voltage can affect the transition time and potentially decrease the slant in the graph.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

So for one of my labs, I had to make a bistable multivibrator and observe the transfer characteristics. The circuit is setup as follows:
http://i.imgur.com/1G4M7DE.jpg

(Image is too big to be inserted in this forum)

This resulted in the following hysteresis loop:
http://i.imgur.com/QfFGrzP.jpg

I noticed that in the graph, when the output flips from negative to positive (so looking at the vertical lines either on the left or right side), the voltage does not go straight up, instead it is slightly slanted. Does anyone know what could cause it to be slightly slanted?

Do note, that those vertical lines have been bolded by me on Paint.

Homework Equations

Vin_saturation = R1/R2 * L+

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the scope plot is Vout vs Vin (eg not Vout vs time). How fast are you changing Vin? The transition time for Vout depends on the slew rate of the opamp and any load on it but let's say it takes a fixed time "t". In that time Vin is changing. The faster you change Vin the more those transitions will lean to the right. Try slowing down Vin and see what happens.

1. What is a bistable multivibrator op amp?

A bistable multivibrator op amp is a type of operational amplifier circuit that has two stable output states. It can be used to store and switch between two different output voltage levels.

2. How does a bistable multivibrator op amp work?

A bistable multivibrator op amp works by using positive feedback to maintain one of two stable output states. When one input voltage is higher than the other, the output will switch to the corresponding state and remain there until the inputs change again.

3. What are the applications of bistable multivibrator op amps?

Bistable multivibrator op amps are commonly used in electronic circuits as memory elements, pulse generators, and switching devices. They can also be used in logic circuits and as frequency dividers.

4. What are the advantages of using a bistable multivibrator op amp?

The main advantage of using a bistable multivibrator op amp is its simple design and low component count. It also has a fast response time and can operate over a wide range of frequencies.

5. How do I design a bistable multivibrator op amp circuit?

To design a bistable multivibrator op amp circuit, you will need to determine the desired output voltage levels, calculate the necessary resistor and capacitor values, and choose an appropriate op amp. It is also important to consider noise and stability in the design process.