Problem with polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses polar coordinates and equations involving them. It also mentions a hint and a further question about the equations. The first equation is derived from differentiating x = r cos(ϕ) twice, while the second equation is not always true.
Gamdschiee
Hello,

I have a question about polar coordinates.

It is
[tex]\vec r = \begin{pmatrix}r cos\phi \\ rsin\phi \\ z\end{pmatrix}=r\cdot \vec e_r + z\cdot \vec e_z[/tex]
and than is
[tex]\ddot{\vec r} = (\ddot{r}-r\dot{\phi}^2)\vec e_r + (r\ddot{\phi} +2\dot{r}\dot{\phi})\vec e_{\phi} + \ddot{z}\vec e_z[/tex]

The following I got on the exercise
[tex]m\cdot \begin{pmatrix}\ddot{x} \\ \ddot{y} \\ \ddot{z}\end{pmatrix} =m\cdot \begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 0 \\ -g\end{pmatrix} + 2\lambda \begin{pmatrix}-x\cdot cos^2 \alpha \\ -y\cdot cos^2 \alpha \\ z\cdot sin^2 \alpha\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

I have three components now. One component is an equation(I, II and III).

I also got following hint:
[tex]I:\cos\phi + III: \tan\alpha[/tex]
[tex]z=\frac{r}{\tan \alpha}[/tex]

When I use this hints, I got this:
[tex]\frac{\ddot x}{\cos \phi}+\frac{\ddot{z}}{\tan \alpha} = -\frac{g}{\tan \alpha}[/tex]

Until this point, it should be all clear to me, I guess.

Apprently you will get following, if you go further:
[tex]\frac{(\ddot{r}-r\dot{\phi}^2)cos \phi-(2\dot{r}\dot{\phi}+r\ddot{\phi})\sin \phi}{\cos \phi}+\frac{\ddot{r}}{\tan^2 \alpha}+ \frac{g}{\tan \alpha}=0[/tex]

My Questions:
1. Why is [tex]\ddot{x} = (\ddot{r}-r\dot{\phi}^2)cos \phi-(2\dot{r}\dot{\phi}+r\ddot{\phi})\sin \phi[/tex], apperently?2. And why is [tex]2\dot{r}\dot{\phi}+r\ddot{\phi}=0[/tex]?

I hope someone can help me with this case.

Kind regards,
Gamdschiee

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You get the first expression if you differentiate x = r cos(ϕ) twice.
Where does the second equation come from? It is not true in general.

Likes Gamdschiee

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they different from Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a method of representing a point in a two-dimensional plane using a distance (r) and an angle (θ) from a reference point. They are different from Cartesian coordinates because they use a different system of measurement and do not rely on x and y axes.

2. What types of problems can occur when using polar coordinates?

Some common problems with polar coordinates include difficulty converting between polar and Cartesian coordinates, difficulty visualizing and graphing using polar coordinates, and difficulty with calculations involving polar coordinates.

3. How can I convert between polar and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from polar to Cartesian coordinates, use the formulas x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ), where r is the distance and θ is the angle. To convert from Cartesian to polar coordinates, use the formulas r = √(x² + y²) and θ = tan⁻¹(y/x).

4. What are some real-life applications of polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They are also used in GPS systems, astronomy, and in describing the motion of objects in circular or rotational paths.

5. What are some tips for solving problems using polar coordinates?

Some tips for solving problems using polar coordinates include being familiar with the conversion formulas, practicing visualizing and graphing in polar coordinates, and using trigonometric identities and properties to simplify calculations.