Problem with squares and roots

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty the speaker is having with squares and roots in a function. They attempt to solve a problem from an exam but their initial instinct is incorrect due to the fact that x is not necessarily greater than or equal to 0. The correct solution involves rewriting the function as f(x) = |x+1| - |x-1| and considering different regions for the value of x.
BruceSpringste

Homework Statement

Hi, I am currently studying for a exam and I have noticed I have difficulty with squares and roots. I decided to take a problem from an exam so that I can illustrate the problems I am having with it.

Homework Equations

If f(x) = √(x+1)2 - √(x-1)2

(a) f(x) = 2; (b) f(x) = 2x; (c) f(x) = 2√x; (d) none of (a)-(c).

The Attempt at a Solution

My first instict is to remove the squares and the roots so that f(x) = x+1 - (x-1) which in turn gives me the answer (a). This is incorrect. I am guessing it has to do with the fact that x is not defined to be ≥ 0. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
BruceSpringste said:
My first instict is to remove the squares and the roots so that f(x) = x+1 - (x-1) which in turn gives me the answer (a). This is incorrect.

Remember √x2 = |x| and not simply x.Now rewrite f(x) .

BruceSpringste said:
I am guessing it has to do with the fact that x is not defined to be ≥ 0. Any help?

No.The domain of the function is R .

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
Remember √x2 = |x| and not simply x.

Now rewrite f(x) .

f(x) = |x+1| - |x-1|

I'm a bit slow, where do I take it from here?

Good...

Now the function will be defined differently in different regions.First consider x<-1

What is the value of |x+1| when x<-1 ?
What is the value of |x-1| when x<-1 ?
What is the value of |x+1|-|x+1|when x<-1 ?

Likes 1 person
Alright now I understand completely! Thank you very much!

1. What is the problem with squares and roots?

The problem with squares and roots is that they can be difficult to understand and calculate, especially when dealing with complex numbers or irrational numbers.

2. How do you solve problems involving squares and roots?

To solve problems involving squares and roots, you need to have a strong understanding of basic algebra and the properties of squares and roots. You also need to know how to simplify expressions and use the order of operations.

3. What are some common mistakes people make when working with squares and roots?

Some common mistakes people make when working with squares and roots include forgetting to use the correct order of operations, not simplifying expressions correctly, and making mistakes with negative numbers.

4. How can I improve my understanding of squares and roots?

To improve your understanding of squares and roots, you can practice solving problems, review the properties and rules of squares and roots, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

5. In what real-world situations are squares and roots used?

Squares and roots are used in many real-world situations, such as in geometry to calculate areas and volumes, in physics to calculate distances and velocities, and in finance to calculate interest rates and loan payments.