Problem with summation, how did he find this result?

• Thread starter Jncik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about an algorithm analysis problem and how to rearrange a double summation to make it more comprehensible. The suggested solution involves reversing the order of integration and using a relevant identity to simplify the expression. The conversation also mentions a triangle in the k-i plane that is similar to a double integral.
Jncik

Homework Statement

Hi

I was trying to understand an algorithm analysis problem and I came to this point:

[PLAIN]http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/1834/unledytw.png

can someone explain me what he did there? Is there any other step between that should have been written in order for it to be more comprehensible?

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There may be a relevant identity, but in any case you can write out the first double summation and rearrange the terms in order to get the second equality.

(2/2 + 2/3 + ... 2/n) + (2/2 + 2/3 + ... 2/(n-1)) + ... + (2/2)
= (n-1)*2/2 + (n-2)*2/3 + ... + 1*2/n

All that remains is to convince yourself that this is actually what the second line reads.

Jncik said:

Homework Statement

Hi

I was trying to understand an algorithm analysis problem and I came to this point:

[PLAIN]http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/1834/unledytw.png

can someone explain me what he did there? Is there any other step between that should have been written in order for it to be more comprehensible?

thanks in advance

You are summing over a triangle in the k-i plane:

[URL]http://math.la.asu.edu/~kurtz/pix/doublesum.jpg[/URL]

It is just like reversing the order of integration in a double integral. You can read the limits from the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How did the scientist find the result for the problem with summation?

The scientist most likely used a mathematical formula or algorithm to calculate the sum of the given numbers. They may have also used a computer program or calculator to assist with the calculations.

2. What is the significance of the result found for the problem with summation?

The significance of the result depends on the context of the problem. It could represent a total value, an average, or other important information related to the given numbers.

3. Can the result for the problem with summation be verified or checked?

Yes, the result can be verified by manually adding the numbers together or using a different method to calculate the sum. This can help ensure the accuracy of the result.

4. Is there a specific method or approach used to find the result for the problem with summation?

There are various methods and approaches that can be used to solve a problem with summation, such as using a formula, a calculator, or a computer program. The choice of method may depend on the complexity of the problem and the available resources.

5. Can the scientist's result for the problem with summation be applied to other similar problems?

It depends on the specific problem and the method used to find the result. In general, if the same approach is used and the numbers are similar, the result may be applicable to other similar problems. However, it is important to consider the context and specific details of each problem before applying a previous result.