How can I put things in subscript and superscript?

• News
  • Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
In summary, subscript and superscript are formatting options that change the positioning of text in a document. Subscript moves the text below the baseline, while superscript moves the text above the baseline. They are commonly used for mathematical formulas and footnotes, respectively. These options can be added using keyboard shortcuts or the formatting toolbar in word processing programs, and can also be used in HTML using the <sub> and <sup> tags. Customization of size and positioning may be available in some programs or through CSS in HTML, but may be limited depending on the platform.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hello PF,

I couldn't find the info by googling, but I need to know: how do I, while writing in a textbox like this one, put things in subscript and superscript (but without using the and commands of PF like I did here)?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Latex generates less smooth [itex]_\text{subscript}[/itex] and [itex]^\text{superscript}[/itex]

It depends on where you are posting. There are html tags for subscript and superscript but they will not work if html is not activated for the place where you are posting.

What is the difference between subscript and superscript?

Subscript and superscript are both types of formatting that change the positioning of text within a document. Subscript moves the text below the baseline, while superscript moves the text above the baseline. Subscript is typically used for mathematical or chemical formulas, while superscript is often used for footnotes or exponents.

How can I add subscript and superscript to my document?

The method for adding subscript and superscript will vary depending on the program or platform you are using. In many word processing programs, such as Microsoft Word, you can use keyboard shortcuts or the formatting toolbar to toggle between regular text and subscript or superscript. Some programs may also have a specific formatting option for subscript and superscript.

Can I use subscript and superscript in HTML?

Yes, you can use HTML tags to add subscript and superscript to your text. The <sub> tag creates subscript text and the <sup> tag creates superscript text. These tags can be used to format specific characters or entire blocks of text within your HTML document.

Are there any shortcuts for adding subscript and superscript?

Yes, there are keyboard shortcuts that can be used to quickly add subscript and superscript in many programs. For example, in Microsoft Word, you can press Ctrl + = to toggle between regular text and subscript, and Ctrl + Shift + + to toggle between regular text and superscript.

Can I customize the size and positioning of subscript and superscript?

In some programs, you may be able to customize the size and positioning of subscript and superscript text. In HTML, you can use CSS to adjust the font size and vertical alignment of subscript and superscript text. However, keep in mind that these formatting options may be limited depending on the program or platform you are using.