Problem with these types of integrals

• Thread starter Jacob87411
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, EbolaPox says that the integrals x+2/(x^2-4) and x/x+1, x/x^2+2...Do you use by parts? I cannot get any of these right where its of this nature..thanks so much are both wrong, and the first one should be simplified into 1/(x-2). Additionally, for the second one, if your numerator is 1 degree less than your denominator, then it's common to try to take the derivative of the denominator, then rearrange the numerator so that it contains a multiple of the derivative of the denominator.
Jacob87411
For some reason I just have a problem with these types of integrals..if someone could show me how to do one it would save me a lot of headaches..

1) x+2/(x^2-4) from 0 to 1

This just simplifies to 1/(x-2) so this should be ln(1-2)-ln(0-2)=ln(-1)-ln(-2)?

2) x/x+1, x/x^2+2...Do you use by parts? I cannot get any of these right where its of this nature..thanks so much

Physics news on Phys.org
For number one, you integrated correctly. However, remember your logarithm rules.

[tex] ln(a) - ln(b) = ln(a/b) [/tex]

Here's a hint for two: If you have something such as[tex] \int \frac{x dx}{x+a} = \int \frac{x+a-a dx}{x+a} = \int 1dx - \int \frac{a dx}{x+a} [/tex]

You can generalize that further if you have the case x+ k on top. I think that may help.

Furthermore, on the x/x^2 + 2, try u-substitution.

Last edited:
Jacob87411 said:
For some reason I just have a problem with these types of integrals..if someone could show me how to do one it would save me a lot of headaches..

1) x+2/(x^2-4) from 0 to 1

This just simplifies to 1/(x-2) so this should be ln(1-2)-ln(0-2)=ln(-1)-ln(-2)?
This is wrong!
You are forgetting the absolute value. You should note that in the reals, ln(x) is only defined for positive x. Hence, there's no such thing as ln(-1), or ln(-2).
You can look again at the table of integrals, you may find something that reads:
[tex]\frac{dx}{x} = \ln |x| + C[/tex]
2) x/x+1, x/x^2+2...Do you use by parts? I cannot get any of these right where its of this nature..thanks so much
For the first one, as EbolaPox has pointed out, you should split it into 2 integrals:
[tex]\int \frac{x}{x + 1} dx = \frac{x + 1 - 1}{x + 1} dx = \int dx - \int \frac{dx}{x + 1}[/tex].
For the second one, if your numerator is 1 degree less than your denominator, then it's common to try to take the derivative of the denominator, then rearrange the numerator so that it contains a multiple of the derivative of the denominator. Your answer will have a ln part and an arctan part (sometimes it does not have an arctan part).
[tex]\int \frac{x}{x ^ 2 + 2} dx[/tex]
Now:
(x2 + 2)' = 2x. Now try to do some manipulation on the numerator to get a multiple of 2x:
[tex]\int \frac{x}{x ^ 2 + 2} dx = \int \frac{\frac{1}{2} \times 2x}{x ^ 2 + 2}[/tex]
Now use the u-substitution:
u = x2 + 2, we have:
[tex]\int \frac{x}{x ^ 2 + 2} dx = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{du}{u} = \frac{1}{2} \ln |u| + C = \frac{1}{2} \ln |x ^ 2 + 2| + C = \frac{1}{2} \ln (x ^ 2 + 2) + C[/tex].
Since x2 + 2 is positive for all x, so:
|x2 + 2| = x2 + 2.
Can you get it? :)

1. What are integrals?

Integrals are mathematical tools used to find the area under a curve, which represents the total value or quantity of something. They are also used to solve problems involving rates of change and accumulation.

2. What are the types of integrals?

The two main types of integrals are definite and indefinite integrals. Definite integrals have specific limits of integration, while indefinite integrals do not have any limits and represent a general solution.

3. What does it mean when there is a problem with these types of integrals?

A problem with these types of integrals can refer to various issues, such as having an integrand that is not continuous, or having an integrand that does not have an antiderivative. It can also refer to difficulties in evaluating the integral using traditional methods, such as substitution or integration by parts.

4. How can we solve problems with integrals?

Problems with integrals can be solved by using various techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, or partial fractions. In some cases, using advanced methods such as contour integration or series expansion may be necessary.

5. Why are integrals important in science?

Integrals are essential in science because they allow us to model and analyze real-world phenomena, such as the rate of change of a reaction in chemistry or the acceleration of an object in physics. They also play a crucial role in solving differential equations, which are used to describe many natural processes.