Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with this integral

1. Jun 24, 2006 #1
    i need help with this integral

when i let u=ln(x) and v=e^x, i get

[tex]\{e^x}{lnx}\ - \int{e^x/{x}}dx[/tex]

and then it keeps looping
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean by "it keeps looping?"
  4. Jun 24, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If by "looping", you mean that you let [itex]dv= \frac{1}{x}[/itex] and [itex]u= e^x[/itex] and everything canceled out leaving you with
    [tex]\int e^x lnx dx= \int e^x ln x dx[/itex]
    Of course!

If you do integration by parts twice and the second time "swap" u and dv, that will always happen.

Perhaps what you mean is that you again let [itex]dv= e^x[/itex] and [itex]u= \frac{1}{x}[/itex] so that you would up with
    [tex]e^x lnx dx= e^x lnx- \frac{1}{x}+ \int\frac{e^x}{x^2}dx[/itex]
    and continuing just gives you higher and higher powers in the denominator: Okay, that's good. What eventually happens is that, in the limit, you get ln x plus an infinite series. The integral cannot be done in terms of "elementary" functions.
  5. Jun 28, 2006 #4

Gold Member

If, when solving by parts, you ever end up with your original integral, you can substitute a algebraically (like substitute the letter I for the origingal integral anywhere you see it) then just solve for I and that's your solution.

My professor broke solving by parts into three different types, and he called that one "around the world"
  6. Jun 28, 2006 #5
    Except for the case [tex] \int_0^{\infty}dxe^{-ax}lnx=-\frac{\gamma+lna}{a} [/tex] which is exact.
  7. Jun 28, 2006 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your integral is a definite integral, the other is not, moreover, what is gamma?
  8. Jun 28, 2006 #7
  9. Jun 29, 2006 #8

[tex]\text{ExpIntegralEi}[x] = - \int_{-x}^\infty \frac{e^{-t}}{t} dt[/tex]

Mathematica solution:
    [tex]\int e^x ln{x} dx = \int_{-x}^\infty \frac{e^{-t}}{t} dt + e^x ln x[/tex]

[tex]\gamma[/tex] - EulerGamma (Euler-Mascheroni Constant)

[tex]\text{ExpIntegralEi}[z] = \sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{z^k}{kk!} + \frac{1}{2} \left[ ln z - ln \left( \frac{1}{z} \right) \right] + \gamma[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-z}^\infty \frac{e^{-t}}{t} dt = \sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{z^k}{kk!} + \frac{1}{2} \left[ ln z - ln \left( \frac{1}{z} \right) \right] + \gamma[/tex]

Orion1 solution:
    [tex]\int e^x ln{x} dx = \sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{x^k}{kk!} + \frac{1}{2} \left[ ln x - ln \left( \frac{1}{x} \right) \right] + e^x ln x + \gamma[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  10. Jun 29, 2006 #9
    if "lnx" is the anle of any trignometric function. like intergration of "sinln dx "
  11. Jun 29, 2006 #10
    What? That made absolutely no sense whatsoever? ln(x) is the natural logarithm of x.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?