Problems for Born-Wolf Optics textbook

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a supplementary resource for Born and Wolf's optics book, which does not have any problems. The person asking for recommendations has not found any other books they like at a similar level, including Hecht's Optics. Various recommendations are given, including Peatross & Ware, Fowles, Jenkins&White, and Guenther's Modern Optics. The use of B&W as a reference rather than a text is also discussed, with some suggesting using it as a problem book.
AndreasC
Gold Member
I decided to go through Born and Wolf's bible of optics but... Um... The book has no problems. Which kinda sucks. Does anyone know if there's some kind of resource to supplement that?

Physics news on Phys.org
What type of supplementary resource are you considering ?

Baluncore said:
What type of supplementary resource are you considering ?
Something which offers good exercises which fit well with the flow of the book.

May I ask you what led you consider this old, normally dated treatise as a source of learning optics? Why didn't you go for newer texts?

dextercioby said:
May I ask you what led you consider this old, normally dated treatise as a source of learning optics? Why didn't you go for newer texts?
Come on, it's not THAT old!

Honestly I haven't found one that I liked very much that is also at a similar level (actually I haven't really loved any of the books at any level, Hecht in particular which is supposed to be standard was a nightmare). Which ones do you have in mind?

Hecht - Optics is often suggested

Peatross & Ware (BYU) have an optics book free online

I've also seen Fowles as well as Jenkins&White recommended (I don't know if that's really any newer, but it does have exercises...)

onatirec said:
Hecht - Optics is often suggested
I have that book from my uni and it is one of my least favorite physics books ever lol. It is the exact opposite of what I look for in a book. I am also looking for something slightly more advanced.

AndreasC said:
Come on, it's not THAT old!

Honestly I haven't found one that I liked very much that is also at a similar level (actually I haven't really loved any of the books at any level, Hecht in particular which is supposed to be standard was a nightmare). Which ones do you have in mind?

How about you get hold of Guenther, R. - Modern Optics (Wiley, 1990)? It has exercises. IF you find a chapter treated too lightly, then you can try B&W as a substitute for that chapter.

dextercioby said:
How about you get hold of Guenther, R. - Modern Optics (Wiley, 1990)? It has exercises. IF you find a chapter treated too lightly, then you can try B&W as a substitute for that chapter.
I was put off because that book has few and seemingly pretty bad reviews. Seems to be a theme with books on optics for some reason. Does everyone just use the same horrible Hecht book?

Can you link to some unbiased bad reviews?

dextercioby said:
Can you link to some unbiased bad reviews?
I don't know who's biased and who's not, I didn't look that deep into it... The main thing was few reviews and ratings. It was few enough that it's probably just a fluke that they were bad but usually I don't look at books which haven't received many ratings unless someone specifically recommends them.

I wouldn't call B&W a text, it is more a reference.

Likes dextercioby
Dr Transport said:
I wouldn't call B&W a text, it is more a reference.
Well it sure does make a better text than Hecht however. Although that's kind of a low bar.

AndreasC said:
Well it sure does make a better text than Hecht however. Although that's kind of a low bar.
Then ask your own questions and use B&W to solve them. I am not aware of anyone using B&W as a text. I've seen Jenkins and White and Contemporary Optics for Engineers by Nussbaum and Phillips used. I had Hecht and Zajac 30+ years ago. I have a Masters in Optics, we didn't use B&W in school.

Dr Transport said:
Then ask your own questions and use B&W to solve them. I am not aware of anyone using B&W as a text. I've seen Jenkins and White and Contemporary Optics for Engineers by Nussbaum and Phillips used. I had Hecht and Zajac 30+ years ago. I have a Masters in Optics, we didn't use B&W in school.
Jenkins does look interesting.

1. What is the Born-Wolf Optics textbook?

The Born-Wolf Optics textbook is a well-known and widely used textbook in the field of optics. It was written by physicists Max Born and Emil Wolf and first published in 1959. The textbook covers a wide range of topics in optics, including wave optics, Fourier optics, and coherence theory.

2. What types of problems are included in the Born-Wolf Optics textbook?

The Born-Wolf Optics textbook includes a variety of problems that cover different concepts and applications in optics. These problems range from basic calculations to more complex theoretical and experimental exercises. They are designed to help students develop their understanding and problem-solving skills in optics.

3. Is the Born-Wolf Optics textbook suitable for beginners?

The Born-Wolf Optics textbook is often used as a textbook for undergraduate and graduate courses in optics. It assumes some background knowledge in mathematics and physics, but it can be used by beginners with proper guidance and support from a teacher or mentor.

4. Are there solutions available for the problems in the Born-Wolf Optics textbook?

Yes, there are solutions available for the problems in the Born-Wolf Optics textbook. Some editions of the textbook include a solutions manual, while others may have solutions available online or through other sources. It is important to note that working through the problems on your own is crucial for learning and understanding the material.

5. Can the Born-Wolf Optics textbook be used for self-study?

While the Born-Wolf Optics textbook is often used as a textbook for courses, it can also be used for self-study. However, it is recommended to have some background knowledge in mathematics and physics before attempting to use the textbook for self-study. Additionally, seeking guidance from a teacher or mentor can be helpful for understanding the material and solving the problems.