Problems Using Windows 10 Home mRemoteNG to remote into Windows 7 Pro

In summary, the conversation is about a person experiencing a super tiny cursor in their remote session when using mRemoteNG on a Windows 10 laptop to connect to a Windows 7 Pro desktop. They have also tried using the standard Windows 10 Home Remote Desktop, but the entire screen is too small. They are seeking a solution to make the cursor and/or the screen normal size.
JDD
Hi,

I'm remoting from a Windows 10 Home laptop into my office Windows 7 Pro desktop
using mRemoteNG on the Windows 10 laptop. I get a super tiny mouse in the remote
session. Back in the laptop all is fine. Its so small and annoying! Everything else is fine,
but the teeny mouse is a real issue. Makes it too hard to find in the remote session
(meaning the Windows 7 Pro pc session).

I tried using the standard Windows 10 Home Remote Desktop on the laptop
to remote into my office Windows 7 Pro pc, and I can connect, but the entire
screen is so small that I can't use it. I've tried maximizing the screen and
playing with resolutions to no avail.

So I'm looking to either make the mouse normal-size when using mRemoteNG
-or- to make the entire screen normal-size when using Remote Desktop.

Anyone have a solution?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
JDD said:
I get a super tiny mouse in the remote
session.
Do you mean "cursor"? A mouse is a physical device that is connected to the computer, either by a wire or wirelessly.

In your remote session, have you tried opening Control Panel and playing with the Mouse settings? Control Panel also has settings for Display, where you can change the resolution.

What is mRemoteNG?

mRemoteNG is an open-source, tabbed, multi-protocol, remote connections manager that allows users to manage all of their remote connections in a single interface.

What are the system requirements for running mRemoteNG?

mRemoteNG requires a computer with a Windows operating system (Windows 7 or newer) and the .NET Framework 4.0 or higher.

How do I set up mRemoteNG to remote into a Windows 7 Pro computer?

To set up mRemoteNG to remote into a Windows 7 Pro computer, you will need to add a new connection by clicking on the "New Connection" button and selecting the appropriate protocol (such as RDP for Windows). Then, enter the necessary information, such as the computer's IP address or hostname, and save the connection. You can then double-click on the connection to initiate the remote session.

Why am I having trouble connecting to my Windows 7 Pro computer with mRemoteNG?

There could be several reasons why you are having trouble connecting to your Windows 7 Pro computer with mRemoteNG. Some common issues include incorrect login credentials, firewall settings blocking the connection, or compatibility issues with the remote computer's operating system. Make sure you have entered the correct information and troubleshoot any potential compatibility or network issues.

Can I use mRemoteNG to remote into a Windows 7 Pro computer from a Windows 10 Home computer?

Yes, mRemoteNG can be used to remote into a Windows 7 Pro computer from a Windows 10 Home computer. However, you may need to adjust the firewall settings on both computers to allow the connection, as well as ensure that both computers are on the same network. Additionally, you may need to download and install the Remote Desktop Connection software on the Windows 10 Home computer if it is not already installed.