Problems with Extractive Distillation of C4 to Get Butadiene

In summary: Overall, the main challenge in this project is obtaining accurate data and using it to design a plant that can produce the required amount of purified butadiene annually. In summary, the project involves designing a plant to produce 100kMT of Purified Butadiene annually using extractive distillation. The main challenges include obtaining key data and calculating the vapor and liquid compositions, as well as bottom and top temperatures, while considering the changing relative volatility of components such as butadiene and vinyl acetylene. Manual calculations and thermodynamic models can be used, with the accuracy being checked by simulation software.
phantom19
Hello, I am currently being assigned in doing a project entitled "Extractive Distillation of C4 to Obtain Butadiene using DimethylFormamide(DMF)". It was rather challenging and I am heading nowhere as I had take a long time in trying to carry out the material balance. One of the challenges is to receive key data like operating temperature and pressure as well as its vapor and liquid composition after being distilled by different column.

The things go like this:
I am required to design a plant to produce 100kMT of Purified Butadiene annually. The feed consists of Butadiene (x=0.5), 1-Butene(x=0.38), Butane (x=0.1), Vinyl Acetylene (x=0.01), Methyl Acetylene (x=0.009) and water (x=0.001). The feed to the first extractive distillation column is 7 times the raw feed flow.

The problem is:
How should I calculate the vapor composition and liquid composition after the first extractive distillation step as well as its bottom and top temperature noting that the relative volatility of butadiene and vinyl acetylene change significantly (from very volatile to being able to come out in the bottom product, as I understand from literatures...)? I am only allowed to use manual calculation for this purpose and Aspen can only be used to check the accuracy of Manual calculation..can anyone please help me?

Thanks...

Engineering news on Phys.org
To solve this problem, you need to start with doing a material and energy balance around the distillation column. This will help you determine the relative volatility of each component and the resulting liquid and vapor compositions. The key parameters you need to consider include the distillation column pressure and temperature as well as the feed composition. You can also use thermodynamic models to calculate the relative volatility of each component to help you further refine your calculations. Additionally, you can also use simulation software such as Aspen to check the accuracy of your manual calculations.

1. What is extractive distillation and how does it work?

Extractive distillation is a specialized type of distillation used to separate azeotropic or close-boiling mixtures. It involves adding a solvent to the mixture, which changes the relative volatility of the components and allows for easier separation. The solvent is then removed through distillation, leaving behind the desired component.

2. What are the main problems with using extractive distillation for obtaining butadiene from C4?

There are several challenges with using extractive distillation for obtaining butadiene from C4. These include the high energy requirements, potential solvent loss and contamination, and difficulty in achieving high purity of butadiene.

3. How does energy consumption differ between extractive distillation and other separation methods?

Extractive distillation typically requires more energy compared to other separation methods, such as fractionation or adsorption. This is due to the additional step of removing the solvent in the distillation process.

4. What are some common solvents used in extractive distillation for obtaining butadiene from C4?

Some common solvents used in extractive distillation for obtaining butadiene from C4 include dimethylformamide (DMF), N-methylpyrrolidone (NMP), and tetrahydrofuran (THF). These solvents are chosen based on their ability to selectively extract butadiene from the C4 mixture.

5. How can the purity of butadiene obtained through extractive distillation be improved?

The purity of butadiene obtained through extractive distillation can be improved by optimizing the process conditions, such as temperature and pressure, and choosing the appropriate solvent. Additionally, hybrid separation methods, such as combining extractive distillation with adsorption, can also help improve the purity of butadiene.