1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Process Safety Engineer Job Description

Tags:
  1. May 21, 2017 #1
    Hello everyone,
    I'm interested specifically what Process Safety Engineer's job is like.
    Like, what you must handle everyday at work, what knowledge is needed, do you find it interesting or not (and why) etc.

Thank you for attention

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2017 #2
    Look on various job hunting web sites for "Safety" or "Industrial Safety", "Health & Safety" or "Safety & Health", "Industrial Hygiene", or any of those types of titles. You'll find lots of job descriptions.

I've been a part of implementing a company safety policy at two different companies. And now I teach an Industrial Safety course. My experience with this type of job function is that one must be a subject matter expert on safety practices, regulatory agency rules, people-influencing skills, a shrewd diplomat, and a paperwork fanatic. Every industrial company will state publicly that "safety of our employees is our #1 priority" and many times that is simply not true. After the serious safety incident, you'll be put into the meat grinder so one learns to protect themselves.

"Process Safety" usually concerns itself with chemical plant-type operations that try to avoid another incident like Union Carbide's disastrous Bopal, India incident. Look it up.

But I tell my students that for someone with the right kind of mentality and personality, there are plenty of rewarding and lucrative jobs out there.

4. May 21, 2017 #3
    Thank you very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted