Procrastinator with ambitions (I want to be a Computer Engineer)

In summary, this person is struggling with how to balance their addiction to technology and their work ethic. They believe that if they can force themselves to work harder, they can overcome their addiction and be successful.
Agravenlife
Hi there. I'm currently in grade 11. I'm taking courses like physics, chemistry, math and computer science. I do very well in school when I put in the effort but lately I've just been procrastinating and being sort of apathetic about everything except technology. I am very addicted to the internet and technology in general. I don't quite know how to stop myself from wasting time on it. It's kind of consuming my life. I used to have excellent an work ethic but that's changing and I don't like it at all. I know that I have the potential to succeed and reach my goal of being a computer engineer, but if I keep this bad habit up I will never get there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's some advice: Change your work ethic back.
Working hard is never going to be easy, and there's not a reallya tried and tested method for solving this problem. THe best way is to simply FORCE yourself. Not easy, but the best way.

Lol. Don't even worry about it. When I was in grade 11, I was probably the one of the worst students at my school, being that I had absolutely no work ethics, and at times getting into trouble with authorities. I was one of those lazy students until I discovered physics, and computer science, which made me transform overnight. Like you, I have a pretty addictive personality. But if you direct this addiction in the right way, it can become passion. When I was in high school, I remember studying more than 10 hours a week would be a monumental achievement. But as an undergrad majoring in the computer engineering, I can say that I study almost 50 hours outside of class, and I don't ever get tired, because it is that much fun. So that's my story. Anyways, as a computer engineer, you still need to go through all those boring GE's so make sure to not screw up in those classes. And you also have to complete all the basic math and physics classes in order to get into all the major classes. But everyone will tell you, you have to have work ethics if you want to do well. But once you have it, it's smooth sailing because momentum is on your side.

1. What is a procrastinator with ambitions?

A procrastinator with ambitions is someone who has big dreams and goals, but struggles with procrastination and putting in the necessary work to achieve those goals.

2. How does procrastination affect someone's ability to become a computer engineer?

Procrastination can greatly hinder someone's ability to become a computer engineer. This field requires a lot of dedication, hard work, and consistent learning. Procrastination can lead to missed deadlines, incomplete projects, and a lack of focus and motivation.

3. Can a procrastinator with ambitions still succeed as a computer engineer?

Yes, a procrastinator with ambitions can still succeed as a computer engineer. It may require more effort and discipline, but with determination and the right strategies, anyone can overcome procrastination and achieve their goals.

4. What are some tips for managing procrastination while pursuing a career in computer engineering?

Some tips for managing procrastination while pursuing a career in computer engineering include setting specific and achievable goals, breaking tasks into smaller and more manageable chunks, utilizing time-management techniques, and seeking accountability and support from others.

5. Is procrastination a sign of laziness or lack of motivation?

Procrastination is not necessarily a sign of laziness or lack of motivation. It can stem from various factors such as fear of failure, perfectionism, or feeling overwhelmed. It is important to identify the root cause of procrastination and address it in order to overcome it and reach one's goals.