1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to become an astronomer but im studying computer engineering

1. Apr 7, 2013 #1
    ok. im going to learn computer engineering in university. i am pretty involved it and IT savvy for that matter. but i have had this ambition, ever since i was a kid, i wanted to be a astronomer. it still is my dream. every time i watch an documentary on space, i am deeply indulged and i instantly fall in space with its vastness and quiet magnificence. my question is, can i become an astronomer after studying computer engineering? or too late for me to change my destined 'career'? pls help me!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

First, you need to write English properly, and not text-speak like "pls". Apart from this being part of the forum rules, which you agreed to when you joined, people will judge you by your writing.

Second, it is far, far easier to become an astronomer if you study physics or astronomy as an undergrad. If you study something else, you will need to catch up, and will be uncompetitive until you do.

4. Apr 7, 2013 #3
    What a coincidence, I'm a physicist that's looking to become a computer programmer. How bout we trade places?

No seriously, if you're thinking about a future where you procreate and provide for a family, I'd forget about astronomy. Some people do make it happen, but they are the exceptions, not the rule. Anyone who says otherwise is trying to get cheap 'grad student' labor.

If you're really passionate about it. You can reach out to some professors and offer to volunteer doing computer stuff for them. If you're lucky they may ask you to assist with developing code for data analysis.

5. Apr 7, 2013 #4
    Other than that 'pls' can u find any other mistakes? I dont get how u can judge me over the internet for using 'pls'. Infact, that post was sent from my phone...

6. Apr 7, 2013 #5
    Thanks for ur advice! U made me think about the salary topic. On a side note, how much does an average astronomer or physicist make a month?

7. Apr 7, 2013 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Oh, the irony.

8. Apr 7, 2013 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I really don't get threads like this. If you want to become an astronomer, then study physics!! What's the point of studying computer engineering?

9. Apr 7, 2013 #8
    0$

An average astronomer or physicist works as computer programmer. So they earn their money as programmers. Yes - you can become an amateur astronomer after studying computer engineering but not professional one. But don't worry - your chances as professional astronomer are as great as someone's with physics/astronomy degree. But you can:

1. Study computer engineering and do a minor in physics/astronomy.

2. Join amateur astronomy club.

3. Start doing astro stuff.

Amateur astronomers are very important part of science. They discovered many new celestial objects.

He can save himself from begging HR to hire him for engineering position with BSc in physics.

10. Apr 7, 2013 #9
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook