1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Product of spectra by diffraction gratings

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    1. Explain the physical principles of the production of spectra by diffraction gratings. include production of zero, first and second order spectrum.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Diffraction and interference?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2
    please reply soon.

4. May 13, 2008 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You need to show some work, or at least give us a hint that you've thought about the question before we can help you. So what have you thought about? As a starter, what's a spectrum, or a diffraction grating?

5. May 13, 2008 #4
    ok. A diffraction grating is a piece of glass, metal (or plastic)with many, equidistant, closely spaced lines ruled on them by a diamond point.
    >The lines scatter light while spaces between them transmit light and act as slits.
    >Diffraction occurs at the slits which behave as sources of secondary wavelets, that superimpose beyond the slits.
    > constructive interference occurs with wavelets at different directions corresponding to bright bands i.e the spectra of light.
    >a spectrum is a series of adjacent images of the filament formed by the constituents colours of white light.
    these are the basics i know.
    >i know the angle at which the components of light emerges from the grating correspond to a particular order.
    so can u please help me with the rest and jus make everything clear in my head for me?

6. May 13, 2008 #5
    waves is the only topic in physics that just doesn't click in my head. i need to understand this to get a scholarship! :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?