Product of the conjugates of a polynomial

In summary, the conversation discusses the uncertainty and need for peer review in mathematics. The speaker shares their proof of a theorem and requests comments and a reliable source. The theorem states that the product of the distinct conjugates of a polynomial g divided by another polynomial f is equal to a constant multiplied by the field extension degree and the degrees of the polynomials. The speaker provides a link to their proof in a PDF file.
coquelicot
Two days ago, I was absolutely certain to have proved the theorem hereafter. But then, micromass pointed out that another theorem the truth of which I was also certain was in fact false. It seems that in mathematics, never be certain until other mathematicians are.
This is the reason why I would appreciate some comments about the following theorem, and also, if a reliable source can be indicated (I imagine that something like this has already been proved):
Let f be an irreducible polynomial over a field K, and assume that g divides f in some extension of K. Let M be the splitting field of f over K, and L be the field generated by the coefficients of g over K (so K<L<M). Then the product of the elements of the set of the distinct conjugates g^s of g, where s belong to Gal(M/K), is equal to cf^n, with n=[L:K]deg(g)/deg(f) and c in K.
My proof can be found in
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/de/Bensimhoun-1.lemma_in_Galois_Theory-2.RxInterQuotR-3.conjugates_of_polynomial.pdf , pp. 5-6 (thm. 3.1).

thx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The link has been moved to
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/Bensimhoun-Three_theorems_of_algebra-2010-07-12.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the product of the conjugates of a polynomial?

The product of the conjugates of a polynomial refers to the result of multiplying a polynomial by its complex conjugate. This is a useful technique in algebra and complex analysis.

Why do we use the product of conjugates of a polynomial?

The product of conjugates is used to simplify and factorize polynomial expressions, making them easier to solve and manipulate. It is also used in the process of finding roots or solutions to polynomial equations.

How do you find the product of conjugates of a polynomial?

To find the product of conjugates, you first need to identify the complex conjugate of the polynomial. This is done by changing the sign of the imaginary part of each term in the polynomial. Then, you multiply the polynomial by its complex conjugate and simplify the resulting expression.

Can the product of conjugates of a polynomial be a complex number?

Yes, the product of conjugates of a polynomial can result in a complex number. This is because when multiplying complex conjugates, the imaginary terms will cancel each other out, leaving only the real terms. However, if the polynomial has complex coefficients, the resulting product may still contain imaginary terms.

How is the product of conjugates of a polynomial related to the complex roots of a polynomial?

The product of conjugates of a polynomial is closely related to the complex roots of the polynomial. In fact, the complex roots of a polynomial are the solutions to the equation formed by setting the polynomial and its complex conjugate equal to 0. This means that the product of conjugates can also help us find the roots of a polynomial.