Polynomial splits over simple extension implies splitting field?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for showing that a simple extension is a splitting field via mutual containment. The argument presented is deemed sound, but there is a discussion about the possibility of mentioning it in a discussion of splitting fields. It is also mentioned that the argument is useful and may be discussed in the context of Galois theory. Finally, it is concluded that the argument does not require any fancy algebraic closure choices and can be easily understood without them.
MostlyHarmless
This is a question that came about while I attempting to prove that a simple extension was a splitting field via mutual containment. This isn't actually the problem, however, it seems like the argument I'm using shouldn't be exclusive to my problem. Here is my attempt at convincing myself that the subject line is true:

Let ##p## be a polynomial over a base field ##\mathbb{F}##. Let ##\mathbb{K}=\mathbb{F}(\alpha)## where ##\alpha \not\in\mathbb{F}## and ##\alpha## is a root of p. Now, suppose ##p## splits over ##\mathbb{K}##. Then ##\mathbb{K}## is the splitting field of ##p##. (?)

Proof. Let ##\mathbb{L}## be the splitting field of ##p## over ##\mathbb{F}##. Then ##\mathbb{L} \subseteq \mathbb{K}## since ##p## splits over ##\mathbb{K}##. Now, ##\alpha \in \mathbb{L}##, but by definition ##\mathbb{K} =\mathbb{F}(\alpha)## is the smallest field containing ##\mathbb{F}## and ##\alpha##. So ##\mathbb{K} \subseteq \mathbb{L}##. So mutual containment is established and ##\mathbb{L} = \mathbb{K}##. //

Is this argument sound? It seems like if it were, this is something that might have been mentioned in our discussion of splitting fields.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you get that ##\alpha\in L##?

andrewkirk said:
How do you get that ##\alpha\in L##?
Since ##\alpha## is a root of f and ##\mathbb{L}## is the splitting field of f. ##\mathbb{L}## must contain all roots of f, basically by definition of splitting field.

I was thinking of the case where ##\mathbb{L}## contains a set of roots, none of which is ##\alpha##, but which is the isomorphic image of a set of roots containing ##\alpha##. I guess that's not a problem if we interpret ##\mathbb{L}## and ##\mathbb{K}## to refer to equivalence classes under isomorphism and the expression ##\mathbb{L}\subseteq\mathbb{K}## to mean for every element of the equivalence class ##\mathbb{L}## there is is an element of ##\mathbb{K}## of which it is a subset.

If we go that way, your whole argument appears sound to me.

andrewkirk said:
I was thinking of the case where ##\mathbb{L}## contains a set of roots, none of which is ##\alpha##, but which is the isomorphic image of a set of roots containing ##\alpha##. I guess that's not a problem if we interpret ##\mathbb{L}## and ##\mathbb{K}## to refer to equivalence classes under isomorphism and the expression ##\mathbb{L}\subseteq\mathbb{K}## to mean for every element of the equivalence class ##\mathbb{L}## there is is an element of ##\mathbb{K}## of which it is a subset.

If we go that way, your whole argument appears sound to me.

That is a fair critique I suppose. If we wanted to be super rigorous we could fix an algebraic closure of ##\mathbb{F}## call it ##\mathbb{F}^*## with ##\mathbb{F} \subseteq \mathbb{K} \subseteq \mathbb{F}^*##.

But either way, while the argument is very short, it seems like a useful lemma that might be discussed at some point. As I find myself making the same argument over and over again. Particularly recently during the discussion of Galois theory.

a filed cannot contain more roots than the degree, so since alpha is contained in K and is a root, and since L is contained in K and contains a full set of roots, then that root alpha must be in L. no fancy algebraic closure choices needed, (although i also first thought of going that route.)

1. What is a polynomial split over a simple extension?

A polynomial is considered to be split over a simple extension if it can be factored into linear factors using elements from that extension field.

2. What does it mean for a polynomial split over a simple extension to imply a splitting field?

If a polynomial is split over a simple extension, it means that the field generated by the coefficients of the polynomial and the roots of the polynomial is the splitting field of that polynomial.

3. How is this concept related to Galois theory?

The concept of polynomial splits over simple extension implies splitting field is closely related to Galois theory, as it helps to determine the structure of the Galois group of a polynomial. It also helps in finding the degree of the splitting field over the base field.

4. Can a polynomial split over a simple extension imply a non-splitting field?

No, if a polynomial is split over a simple extension, it implies that the field generated by the coefficients and roots of the polynomial is the splitting field. Therefore, it cannot be a non-splitting field.

5. How is this concept applied in practical applications?

The concept of polynomial splits over simple extension implies splitting field is applied in many areas of mathematics, including number theory, algebraic geometry, and cryptography. It is also used in fields such as physics and engineering, where polynomial equations are commonly used to model real-world problems.