Product of two complex numbers = 0

In summary: And if we already know the identity works for reals, why would we want to prove it? And even if we did, why would we use a proof that doesn't work for reals? We already know it works for reals, why would we use a proof that doesn't work for reals?It's not that it's incorrect, it's that it's not helpful. It's not a proof. It's a restatement of the problem. It's like "Prove that a+b is even if a and b are even" "Well, a = 2r and b = 2s so a+b = 2r+2s = 2
vesu

Homework Statement

Let z and w be two complex numbers such that zw = 0. Show either z = 0 or w = 0.
Hint: try working in exponential polar form

Homework Equations

z = re

The Attempt at a Solution

I have absolutely no clue.

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if you write two complex numbers in polar form, then multiply them together and require the result is equal to zero? So [itex] z=re^{i\theta}, w = qe^{i\phi} [/itex],zw = ?

vesu said:
Have you tried that yet? What does the question look like in exponential polar form?

clamtrox said:
What happens if you write two complex numbers in polar form, then multiply them together and require the result is equal to zero? So [itex] z=re^{i\theta}, w = qe^{i\phi} [/itex],zw = ?

so [itex]zw = re^{i\theta} \times qe^{i\phi}[/itex]

and since neither [itex]re^{i\theta}[/itex] or [itex]qe^{i\phi}[/itex] can be negative, either [itex]z = 0[/itex] or [itex]w = 0[/itex]. Is this correct?

vesu said:

and since neither [itex]re^{i\theta}[/itex] or [itex]qe^{i\phi}[/itex] can be negative, either [itex]z = 0[/itex] or [itex]w = 0[/itex]. Is this correct?

Not in the slightest. Does negative mean anything when it comes to complex numbers? Also, when imaginary exponents are involved, [itex]e^{a+b\cdot i}[/itex] can be anything. Basic identities about exponents, one of which should be screaming at you, still apply.

vesu said:

Correct, except what does them being negative have to do with anything?

Edit: what I mean is, correct answer, totally wrong reasoning.

cepheid said:
Correct, except what does them being negative have to do with anything?

Edit: what I mean is, correct answer, totally wrong reasoning.
Right, whoops. So either z = 0 or w = 0 because of the zero-product property? i.e. "if ab = 0, then either a = 0 or b = 0"? Why is working in exponential polar form at all necessary or even helpful then? :S

Whovian said:
Not in the slightest. Does negative mean anything when it comes to complex numbers? Also, when imaginary exponents are involved, [itex]e^{a+b\cdot i}[/itex] can be anything. Basic identities about exponents, one of which should be screaming at you, still apply.
[itex]rqe^{i(\theta + \phi)}[/itex] ?

and then since [itex]e^{i(\theta + \phi)} > 0[/itex] either [itex]r=0[/itex] or [itex]q=0[/itex], therefore either [itex]z = 0[/itex] or [itex]w = 0[/itex] ?

vesu said:
[itex]e^{i(\theta + \phi)} > 0[/itex]
It certainly can be smaller than 0, but can it be exactly 0?

vesu said:
Right, whoops. So either z = 0 or w = 0 because of the zero-product property? i.e. "if ab = 0, then either a = 0 or b = 0"? Why is working in exponential polar form at all necessary or even helpful then? :S[itex]rqe^{i(\theta + \phi)}[/itex] ?

and then since [itex]e^{i(\theta + \phi)} > 0[/itex] either [itex]r=0[/itex] or [itex]q=0[/itex], therefore either [itex]z = 0[/itex] or [itex]w = 0[/itex] ?

clamtrox said:
It certainly can be smaller than 0, but can it be exactly 0?
Oh yeah, so it should be [itex]e^{i(\theta + \phi)} \not= 0[/itex] then?

I think it's all correct other than that, right?

vesu said:
Right, whoops. So either z = 0 or w = 0 because of the zero-product property? i.e. "if ab = 0, then either a = 0 or b = 0"? Why is working in exponential polar form at all necessary or even helpful then? :S

The point is that we already know it works for reals. Let's assume it works for reals. Now prove it works for complex numbers. Relying on what you're trying to prove won't get you anywhere. If you really do need a hint,

Ever heard of the absolute value function and how it works on complex numbers?

vesu said:

Homework Statement

Let z and w be two complex numbers such that zw = 0. Show either z = 0 or w = 0.

Homework Equations

z = re

The Attempt at a Solution

I have absolutely no clue.

You can also do it directly: if z = x + i*y and w = u + i*v with x,y,u,v real, then
zw = (xu - vy) + i*(xv + yu), so we need xu = vy and xv = -uy. You can consider several (easy) cases such as u =/= 0 vs, u = 0, and so conclude that in the first case you *must have* x = y = 0, while in the second case you have either v = 0 (so you are done) or else you have x = y = 0.

RGV

Last edited:
Whovian said:
The point is that we already know it works for reals. Let's assume it works for reals. Now prove it works for complex numbers. Relying on what you're trying to prove won't get you anywhere. If you really do need a hint,

Ever heard of the absolute value function and how it works on complex numbers?
I'm a little confused, could you explain how this is incorrect?

[itex]zw = 0[/itex]
[itex]zw = re^{i\theta} \times qe^{i\phi}[/itex]
[itex]zw = rqe^{i(\theta + \phi)}[/itex]
[itex]e^{i(\theta + \phi)} \not= 0[/itex]
[itex]\therefore r=0[/itex] or [itex]q=0[/itex]
[itex]\therefore z = 0[/itex] or [itex]w = 0[/itex]

I guess you could also do it this way to eliminate [itex]i[/itex] altogether so that you're only working with reals? This doesn't involve exponential polar form though so I'm not sure if this is how we're expected to solve it.

[itex]z = a + ib[/itex]
[itex]w = c + id[/itex]
[itex]|zw| = |z||w| = 0[/itex]
[itex]\sqrt{a^2 + b^2} \times \sqrt{c^2 + d^2} = 0[/itex]
[itex]\therefore a[/itex] and [itex]b = 0[/itex]
or [itex]c[/itex] and [itex]d = 0[/itex]

Last edited:
If [itex]z = 0[/itex], you are done. Suppose [itex]z \neq 0[/itex]. Then, the multiplicative inverse of z exists. But, then:
[tex]
w = \frac{1}{z} \cdot 0 = ?
[/tex]

Dickfore said:
If [itex]z = 0[/itex], you are done. Suppose [itex]z \neq 0[/itex]. Then, the multiplicative inverse of z exists. But, then:
[tex]
w = \frac{1}{z} \cdot 0 = ?
[/tex]
This has confused me even more. :S

also I cringe every time I re-read this:
vesu said:

and since neither [itex]re^{i\theta}[/itex] or [itex]qe^{i\phi}[/itex] can be negative, either [itex]z = 0[/itex] or [itex]w = 0[/itex]
I was very very tired. :frown:

vesu said:
[itex]zw = rqe^{i(\theta + \phi)}[/itex]

It's this step. To justify it, we need to rely on the very identity we are trying to prove, resulting in circular reasoning. Hint: find some way to introduce an absolute value into this equation.

vesu said:
Because this is what you are being asked to prove! That is, you are asked to prove that the "zero product property" holds for complex numbers as well as real numbers.

[itex]rqe^{i(\theta + \phi)}[/itex] ?

and then since [itex]e^{i(\theta + \phi)} > 0[/itex]
NO! This not true. For example, [itex]e^{i\pi}= -1[/itex]. But, as you were told before, there is no "less than" or "larger than" relation on the complex numbers.

either [itex]r=0[/itex] or [itex]q=0[/itex], therefore either [itex]z = 0[/itex] or [itex]w = 0[/itex] ?
It is, however, true that [itex]e^{ix}[/itex], for x real, is never 0.

Whovian said:
It's this step. To justify it, we need to rely on the very identity we are trying to prove, resulting in circular reasoning. Hint: find some way to introduce an absolute value into this equation.
Uh... I understand what you're saying about what's wrong with my proof but I really don't know what to do even with the hint. :confused:

I mean I know [itex]r = |z|[/itex] and [itex]q = |w|[/itex] so [itex]rq=|zw|[/itex] but I don't know where that gets me.

Try taking the absolute value of both sides.

vesu said:
Uh... I understand what you're saying about what's wrong with my proof but I really don't know what to do even with the hint. :confused:

I mean I know [itex]r = |z|[/itex] and [itex]q = |w|[/itex] so [itex]rq=|zw|[/itex] but I don't know where that gets me.

I gave you an alternative suggestion in my previous posting. Have you looked at it? Have you tried to complete the argument I gave?

RGV

Whovian said:
It's not circular reasoning. It's safe to assume here that for real numbers x and y, that xy=0 implies that x=0 or y=0, and this is what the proof is relying on as r and q are both real numbers. The OP is being asked to show the same property holds for complex numbers.

vela said:
It's not circular reasoning. It's safe to assume here that for real numbers x and y, that xy=0 implies that x=0 or y=0, and this is what the proof is relying on as r and q are both real numbers. The OP is being asked to show the same property holds for complex numbers.

Well, the step I was quoting assumes that, for some real numbers r, q, and ##\psi##,

$$r\cdot q\cdot e^{\psi\cdot i}=0$$

and says that

$$r = 0\lor q = 0\lor e^{\psi\cdot i}=0$$

As ##e^{\psi\cdot i}## isn't necessarily real, this step's invalid. There are a few ways, however, to proceed from here. My favourite is taking the absolute value of both sides, but one could also write ##e^{\psi\cdot i}## as ##a+b\cdot i## for real numbers a and b and work from there.

But vesu didn't do that. Vesu noted the exponential isn't 0, which means it could be divided it out, leaving rq=0.

I'm confused too. In the OP's proof, the claim that the complex exponential factor cannot be 0 seems sufficient. We're you looking for the OP to say explicitly that:

|exp[i(theta + phi)]|

= |1*exp[i(theta + phi)]|

= 1

And therefore the complex exponential part can never be 0, because it must lie on the unit circle in the complex plane?

vela said:
But vesu didn't do that. Vesu noted the exponential isn't 0, which means it could be divided it out, leaving rq=0.

Would it be valid then to reason that

zw = 0

case 1: z≠0
divide by z
∴w = 0

case 2: w≠0
divide by w
∴z = 0.

case 3: w=z=0
0*0 = 0.

Ray Vickson said:
I gave you an alternative suggestion in my previous posting. Have you looked at it? Have you tried to complete the argument I gave?

RGV
Sorry, I'm not really sure what to do with your suggestion and I'm still trying to figure out if either of the proofs I have is correct!

Is this proof okay if the other one isn't? (even though this doesn't involve exponential polar form, that was only a hint, not a requirement)

let [itex]z = a + ib[/itex] and [itex]w = c + id[/itex]

[itex]zw = 0[/itex]
[itex]|zw| = 0[/itex]
[itex]|z||w| = 0[/itex]
[itex]\sqrt{a^2 + b^2} \times \sqrt{c^2 + d^2} = 0[/itex]
[itex]\therefore a[/itex] and [itex]b = 0[/itex]
or [itex]c[/itex] and [itex]d = 0[/itex]

Thoroughly confused at this point. :confused:

vesu said:
[itex]|zw| = 0[/itex]
[itex]|z||w| = 0[/itex]

This step is what you want to prove.

clamtrox said:
This step is what you want to prove.
Is it? I was just using [itex]|zw|=|z||w|[/itex], I don't think that's what we're trying to prove. :S

vesu said:
Is it? I was just using [itex]|zw|=|z||w|[/itex], I don't think that's what we're trying to prove. :S

It is. That's what the whole brouhaha has been in this thread :) Think about it for a while!

clamtrox said:
Would it be valid then to reason that

zw = 0

case 1: z≠0
divide by z
∴w = 0

case 2: w≠0
divide by w
∴z = 0.

case 3: w=z=0
0*0 = 0.
If you know, for example, that ℂ is a field, then yeah, this works. Dickfore suggested this method earlier in the thread.

cepheid said:
I'm confused too. In the OP's proof, the claim that the complex exponential factor cannot be 0 seems sufficient.
Actually, it isn't, which is Whovian's point. Since we're trying to prove that there are no zero divisors, so we can't assume that just because e≠0, then ze=0 implies z=0 because e might be a zero divisor. You should show how to get rid of the complex exponential, e.g. take the modulus or multiply by e-iθ.

Now I agree that the OP was likely using circular reasoning while the rest of us glossed over it, thinking "Obviously you can get rid of the exponential." It was a good catch by Whovian.

vela said:
Actually, it isn't, which is Whovian's point. Since we're trying to prove that there are no zero divisors, so we can't assume that just because e≠0, then ze=0 implies z=0 because e might be a zero divisor. You should show how to get rid of the complex exponential, e.g. take the modulus or multiply by e-iθ.

Now I agree that the OP was likely using circular reasoning while the rest of us glossed over it, thinking "Obviously you can get rid of the exponential." It was a good catch by Whovian.
so

[itex]zw = 0[/itex]
[itex]re^{i\theta} \times qe^{i\phi} = 0[/itex]
[itex]rqe^{i(\theta + \phi)} = 0[/itex]
[itex]\frac{rqe^{i(\theta + \phi)}}{e^{i(\theta + \phi)}} = \frac{0}{e^{i(\theta + \phi)}}[/itex]
[itex]rq = 0[/itex]

Um, I can't find anything at all in our course material about taking the modulus of a complex exponential. According to WolframAlpha [itex]|e^{i\theta}| = 1[/itex] assuming [itex]\theta[/itex] is real? So, uh...

[itex]zw = 0[/itex]
[itex]re^{i\theta} \times qe^{i\phi} = 0[/itex]
[itex]rqe^{i(\theta + \phi)} = 0[/itex]
[itex]|rqe^{i(\theta + \phi)}| = |0|[/itex]
[itex]rq = 0[/itex]

Both of these seem okay I think?

vesu said:
According to WolframAlpha [itex]|e^{i\theta}| = 1[/itex] assuming [itex]\theta[/itex] is real?

True, but you can see fairly easily again that this claim is equivalent with claiming that |zw|= |z| |w|. Maybe you can somehow convince yourself (without resorting to wolframalpha) that this is true?

vela said:

What is a "zero divisor?"

clamtrox said:

Ah ok. So we can't assume a priori that the set of complex numbers possesses the property that the product of two of its non-zero elements must be non-zero.

I had no idea, to be honest.

1. What does it mean when the product of two complex numbers equals 0?

When the product of two complex numbers equals 0, it means that the two numbers are orthogonal or perpendicular to each other on the complex plane. This means that the two numbers are at a 90 degree angle from each other and their product is 0.

2. Can the product of two complex numbers equal 0 if neither number is 0?

No, the product of two non-zero complex numbers cannot equal 0. This is because the product of two non-zero numbers on the complex plane will always have a non-zero magnitude and a non-zero angle, resulting in a non-zero product.

3. How can I solve for the two complex numbers when their product equals 0?

To solve for the two complex numbers when their product equals 0, you can set up an equation where the product of the two numbers is equal to 0. Then, you can solve for each number individually by setting one of them equal to 0 and solving for the other number.

4. Can the product of two complex numbers equal 0 if one number is real and the other is imaginary?

Yes, the product of a real number and an imaginary number can equal 0. This can occur when the real number is 0, resulting in a product of 0 regardless of the value of the imaginary number.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the product of two complex numbers equaling 0?

Yes, the concept of orthogonality in complex numbers is used in fields such as engineering and physics. For example, in electrical engineering, the real and imaginary components of a complex impedance are orthogonal and their product is 0, allowing for easier analysis of circuits.