1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Production of the bremsstrahlung

1. Aug 24, 2011 #1
    Hey,

My book says: When an electron strikes the target metal it is attracted by the positively charged nuclei, and hence it loses speed and hence emits a photon of X-ray.

That doesn't make sense to me. We learnt that in centripitel acceleration, that the speed of the object being centripitally accelerated stays the same, and this is the case with this.. the electron is being centripitally accelerated by the nuclei and hence it shouldnt loose speed. Can someone explain to me why it loses speed?

BTW: I know this isnt a homework or coursework question, but one of the people kept on moving my previous questions which i posted under the general physics forum... SO DONT MOVE THIS ONE OR OTHERWISE COME TO A CONCLUSION AS TO WHAT IS COURSEWORK QUESTIONS AND WHAT IS GENERAL PHYSICS! THIS QUESTION WASNT ASKED AS HOMEWORK! IM JUST WONDERING! BUT MY PREVIOUS TWO QUESTIONS GOT MOVED!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2011 #2

lightgrav

Homework Helper

the impinging electron collides with an inner-shell atomic electron, and transfers a lot of its momentum (even ionizing the atom by ejecting it). This vigorous acceleration is accompanied by Brems radiation (Electric fields and magnetic fields change rapidly).
    The "spikes" in the x-ray spectrum comes from the "cascade" as outer-shell electrons fall inward, to fill in the vacancy where the ejected one used to be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook