Production process theory/equations (Industrial Engineering help)

In summary, the conversation is about finding ways to smooth out a 5 stage production sequence in a financial industry consulting setting. The terms "Lean Manufacturing" and "production leveling" are suggested as potential solutions, along with reducing non-value added tasks and focusing on selling and shipping end items immediately. The goal is to create an efficient and optimized production line.
Major_Energy
Anyone know of some theory or equations to smooth out a 5 stage production sequence? I don't even know what the proper terms and jargon is otherwise I would just google it.

Why don't I have an in house industrial engineer? Because its not a factory its a financial industry consultant...lol...and what I manage seems to mimic an industrial manufacturing process.

We seem to yo-yo between inequalities in the "production line" at the front end, and then the back end is starved...we speed up the back end and the front end is starved...(if that makes any sense to anybody)

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should research "Lean Manufacturing"

Also, Remember every end item needs to be sold and shipped immediately. Then, you want to pull the work through the production line not push. This way you reduce excessive work in process (WIP) and inventory to the minimum.

Also, look for non-value added tasks and eliminate.

Do this and you will end up with an effective and optimized production line.

Last edited:
Hey thanks Gannet! - I am going to hazard a guess that production leveling from lean manufacturing is what I'll start looking into lol

1. What is production process theory?

Production process theory is a framework that explains how products are manufactured and how different factors, such as resources, technology, and labor, can affect the production process. It helps industrial engineers to optimize and improve production processes by identifying the most efficient and cost-effective ways to produce goods.

2. What are the key equations used in production process theory?

The key equations used in production process theory include the production function, which relates inputs to outputs, and the cost function, which calculates the cost of production based on various factors such as labor, materials, and overhead. Other important equations include the inventory control model, queuing theory, and scheduling algorithms.

3. How is production process theory applied in real-world scenarios?

Production process theory is applied in various industries, such as manufacturing, healthcare, and service sectors, to optimize and improve production processes. For example, in a manufacturing plant, production process theory can be used to determine the most efficient production line layout, optimize inventory levels, and minimize production costs.

4. What are the benefits of using production process theory?

The use of production process theory can lead to several benefits, such as increased productivity, reduced production costs, improved product quality, and better resource allocation. It also helps businesses to stay competitive by continuously improving their production processes and staying up-to-date with advancements in technology and techniques.

5. What are some challenges in applying production process theory?

One of the main challenges in applying production process theory is the complexity of real-world production processes, which may involve several variables and constraints that are difficult to model. Additionally, the accuracy of the results obtained from production process theory depends on the accuracy of the data input and the assumptions made, which may not always reflect the actual production environment.