Would a manufacturing/industrial engineering internship benefit me?

In summary: This sounds like a pretty good overview of what a mechanical engineer does on the job. Probably the most important skill would be dimensional accuracy, as it can be difficult to measure or build something if it's not sized correctly.
jklops686
Hi,

I am a sophomore mechanical engineering student looking for an internship to get some real life experience. I applied to an aerospace company which makes hybrid electric motors for a manufacturing/industrial engineering internship and have an interview. This seems like the type of company I'd enjoy working at in the future but I'm wondering how ideal this industrial engineering internship would be compared to my major focus, mechanical engineering. Would it help my skills in the future or should I take a ME internship if I can?

These are the responsibilities listed:
-Prepare detailed, step-by-step work instructions for the production and testing of all HEV and Aftermarket products. This involves becoming hands-on familiar with the product and following a defined format.

-Update Cell safety information boards.

-Conduct and document time studies of the various operations in the production cells.

-Assist with the implementation of 6S and Visual Factory projects.

-Assist in the layout and execution of product line layouts.

-Create a searchable database to manage deviations from the customer.

-Assist in creating standard work on the production floor.

-Assist in creating a database for assembly part traceability.

Any thoughts? Thanks:smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, in my opinion, you would benefit greatly by participating in the above internship. You will work side-by-side with engineers on real problems. It can (would) be a terrific opportunity to supplement all your classroom and lab learning. I have seen young juniors and seniors come to our company on summer internships. They all gained. I encourage you to go and do it!

Bobbywhy

Wow, the first item looks completely unbelievable for an intern IMO. Probably somebody in HR cut-and-pasted it from a job description without knowing what it means:

-Prepare detailed, step-by-step work instructions for the production and testing of all HEV and Aftermarket products.
Do you really think they are going to let an intern write the documentation on how to build and test their products?

The rest look more plausible intern-type activities, e.g. "Update Cell safety information boards." = "make 100 copies of a piece of paper and go round the factory pinning them onto 100 notice boards", etc.

IMO none of this will teach you much specifically about mech engineering, but it will teach you quite a lot about how an engineering company operates - just keep your eyes and ears open and soak up the atmosphere.

That's probably the standard HR-type description for an intern in that department. I'm sure you won't be doing just those tasks. No one likes writing new work descriptions and submitting them to HR for each new intern, so I'm sure they're reusing this one.

I work as a mechanical engineer and I had an internship in high school at an aerospace composites manufacturing company. It helped me understand how engineering companies generally function, but also gave me some valuable practical knowledge in how problems are actually solved. (The company also hired me after I graduated high school, so it helped me get a job as well.) It also gave me perspective throughout my college career. In school, a lot of times the professors don't have a lot of practical experience in industry solving things (with notable exceptions), but they'll tell you "this is how it's done in industry". With some practical experience, you'll be able to see how to apply your knowledge better. Besides, any practical experience is better than none. Companies do look for that in a job search, and you might gain a job skill that will help you later on in your career.

-Assist in creating standard work on the production floor.

For a mechanical engineer, some actual shop time is invaluable. I've talked with a lot of shop guys and their biggest gripe with designers is that some of them don't have a clue how things are actually made. They say that designers who come from school with no real shop experience come to work and design complex parts that are overly difficult, if not impossible, to build when simpler designs would be sufficient. They might not think about if the part might need a fixture or some way to be held in the tool. They might not take materials into consideration; they might call out stainless steel or aluminum when regular carbon steel would work fine. They might not think about heat treatments on metals. They might not realize that there are standard sizes that materials come in and it's easier to order those than just cut it out of a big block or something. They also might not dimension things correctly so that it's easy to measure, build to, or inspect to. When you actually make parts on the floor, you gain a greater appreciation for these types of considerations. I would say it would help you immensely, even if you're not planning on working in that particular field.

jklops686 said:
...I applied to an aerospace company which makes hybrid electric motors for a manufacturing/industrial engineering internship and have an interview. This seems like the type of company I'd enjoy working at in the future but I'm wondering how ideal this industrial engineering internship would be compared to my major focus, mechanical engineering. Would it help my skills in the future or should I take a ME internship if I can?...

Try to get this internship. Whatever you do, don't tell the interviewer you're holding out for one at another company. The things you learn as an intern are more about the real world and less about your areas of study. I think the internships are harder to get than they were a few years ago. So, make the best of the interview. You might not get another chance for this summer.

Thanks everyone, that helps a lot. I'm actually hoping to get this one over any of the ME ones. Wish me luck

I got the internship! Any advice would still be appreciated! : )

You will probably be assigned to a person who will be your "direct supervisor". Pay attention to what he or she says. I know that sounds a bit basic, but when a company evaluates an intern they call in the supervisor and ask, "did he do as you asked" and "did he contribute to the team effort?". Positive answers result in a positive evaluation.

I had a similar opportunity once (a really long time ago). I used to go to my supervisor (team leader) with a list of items that seemed to me that needed to be completed. I asked for him to prioritize them for me. Then I'd go and start on his highest priority item. The system worked well, our project got completed on time, and I got a good recommendation!

Any work experience will be good for a few reasons.
1) To look good on a resume
2) To expose you to the work environment, whether it will be similar to life after graduation or not.

That said, there's no way to know how specifically, technically useful an internship will be to your future profession. There are certainly mechanical engineering specific internships that will have little to no value other than filling a spot on a resume. This internship may very well turn out to be extremely useful even though you don't consider it related. My most useful experiences come from non-engineering positions.

1. How will a manufacturing/industrial engineering internship benefit me?

A manufacturing/industrial engineering internship will benefit you in a variety of ways. Firstly, it will provide you with practical experience in the field, allowing you to apply the theories and concepts you have learned in your coursework. It will also give you the opportunity to work on real-world projects and problems, giving you a better understanding of the industry and its challenges. Additionally, an internship can help you develop important skills such as communication, teamwork, and time management, which are highly valued by employers. Overall, an internship can greatly enhance your resume and make you a more competitive candidate for future job opportunities.

2. What kind of tasks and projects can I expect to work on during a manufacturing/industrial engineering internship?

The specific tasks and projects you will work on during an internship will vary depending on the company and the role you are assigned. However, some common tasks and projects that manufacturing/industrial engineering interns may work on include process improvement, data analysis, project management, and quality control. You may also have the opportunity to shadow and assist experienced engineers, attend meetings and site visits, and participate in training programs.

3. Will I receive any training or mentorship during my manufacturing/industrial engineering internship?

Many companies offer training and mentorship programs for their interns, especially in the engineering field. This may include on-the-job training, workshops and seminars, and mentorship from experienced engineers. These opportunities can help you develop new skills and gain a better understanding of the industry. It is important to inquire about training and mentorship opportunities when applying for internships and to take advantage of them during your internship.

4. Can a manufacturing/industrial engineering internship lead to a full-time job?

Yes, a manufacturing/industrial engineering internship can often lead to a full-time job offer. In fact, many companies use internships as a way to recruit and groom potential employees. If you perform well during your internship and make a good impression, you may be offered a full-time position upon graduation. Even if you do not receive a job offer from the company you interned with, the experience and skills you gain during your internship can make you a strong candidate for other job opportunities in the field.

5. How can I make the most of my manufacturing/industrial engineering internship?

To make the most of your internship, it is important to approach it with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn. Take the initiative to ask questions, seek feedback, and take on new tasks and responsibilities. Network with professionals in the field and make connections that could benefit you in the future. Additionally, keep a record of your accomplishments and the skills you have developed during your internship to showcase on your resume. Lastly, use your internship as an opportunity to explore different areas of the industry and determine your interests and strengths for future career planning.