1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Programming courses useful for physics majors?

1. Jun 18, 2017 #1
    I'm a physics undergrad and was wondering which programming classes are most useful/beneficial; python, linux, c++, java, etc...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2017 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

What does your departmental program specify as the required computer programming course or courses? Beyond that, I am only guessing that ANY and ALL programming languages or other such courses could be useful for a Physics student.

Your department MUST have a computer programming course requirement for undergraduate degree in Physics! At least one introductory course.

4. Jun 18, 2017 #3
    the phys dept only requires me to take c++, but i wanted to see what else would be useful in the long run, even the ones that aren't required. Thanks for the reply anyways!

5. Jun 18, 2017 #4
    C, C++, Fortran, and Python should be the most useful for you. After you've got some experience with once or more of those, I'd recommend learning how to use OpenCL and possibly CUDA for GPU accelerated computation. Individual graphics cards these days are as powerful as top tier supercomputers from the early 2000s, so it pays to know how to utilize them.

6. Jun 19, 2017 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I say this all the time, so why not say it again? I think you will find it much more useful to learn programming than a programming language.

7. Jun 19, 2017 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Review, practice, and improve yourself at programming in your C++, and then later, you could decide better which other language to learn.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted