• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Programming for research physics

• Thread starter Sjm757
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm applying for some REU's later on this year and I'm wondering whether knowing a programming language is necessary, and if so what book(s) I should get to learn. Also if anyone else has done an REU, is there any other skills or outside school actives I could do to increase my chances of being selected?

Answers and Replies

I'm applying for some REU's later on this year and I'm wondering whether knowing a programming language is necessary, and if so what book(s) I should get to learn. Also if anyone else has done an REU, is there any other skills or outside school actives I could do to increase my chances of being selected?
Programming skills will be huge with a doubt. You don't even need a book to start, there are countless websites that have information for every language out there. Pick a language and start. The skills you acquire from one language will transfer to another. Any of these will work: C++, Python, C, or Java. I would recommend studying numerical analysis along with a language because I would guess if you do end up getting a REU you'd be doing something along these lines.. Or maintaining the broken down equipment.

Any recommendations for an numerical analysis book?

chiro
Science Advisor
Look at Numerical Recipes in C/C++/Java/Whatever

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Some still program in FORTRAN, now F95 or F2003, or C++.

There is still a lot of legacy code in F77 and F90.

Python scripts and Java are often used for supporting programs to FORTRAN or C++ executables.