Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Programming in C, creating an Array user gets to input

1. Nov 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Alright, so for my engineering programming class I have an assignment where I have to create a program with an array, and then do things with the array, such as create a search function for it, and list how many numbers fall within a certain range, ect, ect.

So I actually just need some help getting started on this particular assignment. I need to create an Array where the user inputs 20 numbers from the keyboard. Unfortunately all the examples we are given, the arrays have values already assigned to them. I have no idea how to let a user create the data for the area to be displayed.

2. Relevant equations

For example

int main()
    {
    /* use initializer list to initialize array n */
    int n[ 10 ] = { 32, 27, 64, 18, 95, 14, 90, 70, 60, 37 };
    int i; /* counter */

printf( "%s%13s\n", "Element", "Value" );

/* output contents of array in tabular format */
    for ( i = 0; i < 10; i++ ) {
    printf( "%7d%13d\n", i, n[ i ] );
    } /* end for */
    getch();
    return 0; /* indicates successful termination */

All the values are given, and I know how to do that just fine. I have no idea how to let a user input the values for the array though.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried some different things with scanf("%s", n); where "n" is the name of the array, but all the results always ended up wonky, giving me wild values once displayed that were definitely not anything I input.

How do I make an array where the values are put in by the user? The rest of the assignment I think I have a handle on, but every example involving arrays from our book, the values in the array are decided in the program itself. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

When you post code, it's considered good manners to put [ code ] and [ /code ] tags around your code (omit the spaces, though). This preserves your indentation, making your code easier to read.

I have done this for your code.
    You are not using the right conversion specifier - the "%s" part. That's the specifier you use to read in a string. Your array is of type int, so the conversion specifier should be "%d".

Also, and this is very important, the input argument to scanf has to an expression that represents an address. In fact, n does represent an address, but to input values to an array you're going to have to have a loop that iterates through the array. Having a 2nd argument of n will mean that all of the values you type in go to the same location in memory - not good.

Declare the array, but don't include an initializer list. The array values will get set in a loop, something like this.

Code (Text):

int list[5];  // Uninitialized array
    int i;

for (i = 0; i < 5; i++)
    {
        printf("Enter a value: ");
        scanf("%d", &list[i]);
    }

4. Nov 10, 2012 #3
    Thank you very much kind sir. Sorry for the breach of etiquette. I fairly new here, and I haven't used the homework forum much.

Your solution worked like a charm though, and now I can get all of the other parts taken care of.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook