Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programming language to make a forum

1. Jun 20, 2006 #1
    I want to make a simple program for an experimental forum of mine. I need it to automatically make threads. I dont really have any legitimate programming experience or knowledge. What programming language would be good for my needs? Preferably one that can interact with the internet like retreiving the current URL and going to a URL.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your forum software is most likely written in php. It should be a simple matter of adding some additional php to the forum's code to add "fake" content to your database.

- Warren

4. Jun 20, 2006 #3
    what program can I use to write php code?

5. Jun 20, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Notepad. TextPad. UltraEdit. Emacs. Any editor you want, really.

Honestly if you have no programming experience, this mission is not the right place to begin. Sorry to burst your bubble.

- Warren

6. Jun 20, 2006 #5
    where's a good place to learn php?

7. Jun 20, 2006 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Jun 20, 2006 #7
    Just to make sure, once the php code is written were exactly do I put it?

9. Jun 20, 2006 #8
    once you write your php program you will need to download the php library (if you havent already done so). In most cases php programs are executed by a webserver (apache, IIS, etc.) but you can also run it from a shell (like from DOS).

From what I understand from your post, you dont really need to worry too much about URLs and posting data and handling data. If you have have access to your forum, you should just access the database/flatfile directly in order to create threads.

10. Jul 1, 2006 #9
    Java programming language will be the best for you as it can interact with the internet and can retrieve current URL and also at the same time go to it.

11. Jul 1, 2006 #10
    I would recommend php over java since java has a steep learning curve

12. Jul 2, 2006 #11
    Depending on what kind of programmer you wish to be, shall choose your first language. If you wish to be a real programmer, I recommend beginning with C (possibly Pascal also). Then moving on to Java, C#, or/and C++.

If you wish to write little scripts once in awhile, for either maintaining your system or a CGI script for a website: study something similar to Perl, Ruby, Python, or/and PHP. Though, PHP is only implemented for web development.

Thus, choose your goal as a programmer. :tongue: Of course you can choose to write little scripts, then move to real programming; though, I believe it is a waste of time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?