Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programming newbie trying to learn C

1. Oct 14, 2013 #1
    I have no background knowledge of any computer language whatsoever. I have been following several online beginner tutorials in C and want to continue learning the language. I am using Xcode as a compiler.
    I have ordered "Learn C on the Mac: For OS X and iOS"
    David Mark (Author), James Bucanek (Author), and am wondering if this is a good starting point. I plan on taking a class (C++ is offered not C) but that will be several months out.

Is anyone familiar with the book I ordered and can anyone recommend some good books or starting points? Possibly a book to use in conjunction with what I already ordered to make things a little easier? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

There is only one book about C, K&R.

4. Oct 14, 2013 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

+1 on that.

5. Oct 14, 2013 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The only problem with K&R is the prerequisite. You don't need to know anything about computer programming, but you do have to know how to read accurately. It isn't written on the principle that a thousand woolly words are easier to understand than one precise one.

If you want more examples to go with K&R, get "Software tools" by Kernighan and Plauger.

6. Oct 14, 2013 #5
    can you elaborate on this in simpler/layman terms? Thank you

Ryan

7. Oct 14, 2013 #6

jhae2.718

Gold Member

There are three books on C I like: K&R, then Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets, and finally, C: A Reference Manual.

8. Oct 15, 2013 #7
    I know that you're asking about the book, but let me point you in the direction of a different compiler / IDE. I've never used XCode, so I can't say anything negative about it.

However, I can say that CodeBlocks is a wonderful compiler/IDE. It is also compatible with Mac. I would suggest using CodeBlocks instead of XCode in case you ever have to do your coding on a Windows computer. Since XCode is only compatible with Mac, it seems to me like getting familiar with CodeBlocks would be in your best interest.

9. Oct 16, 2013 #8
    Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets is such an excellent book. Highly recommended. I guess you could say it's an excellent second book on C.

10. Oct 16, 2013 #9

jhae2.718

Gold Member

In my opinion one should start with K&R, then move on to Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets, and then use C: A Reference Manual as just that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook