Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs for testing of randomness

1. Jan 21, 2006 #1
    Hello! Do you know any programs that can test randomness of pseudorandom sequences of real numbers?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2006 #2

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you want a simple statistics test or some type of cryptographic analysis of the PNG?

4. Jan 23, 2006 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

You could use a spreadsheet. Plot the values and see if you get an even distribution. Variance should be a good measure of the randomness.

5. Jan 24, 2006 #4
    If this simple statistics tests can test sequences of real numbers, then they may be good for me. Do you know any links in Internet?

Thank you. But I ask for programs. May be you know any programs that can automatically do this. Do you know any links in Internet?

6. Jan 24, 2006 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any spreadsheet program (OpenOffice, Excel, etc.) should be able to compute basic statistics. So can programs like Octave, MATLAB, Mathematics, etc. Use google to find links.

- Warren

7. Jan 31, 2006 #6
    Thank you. But may be you know programs that take a sequence of real numbers as input data and return any reports. I think that Excel can test dependence only.

8. Jan 31, 2006 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, I don't know of any tools which are designed to do only exactly what you want to do, but I know many tools which, among other things, are capable of being programmed to do exactly what you want to do. It's not hard.

- Warren

9. Mar 12, 2006 #8
    May be you know any good programs that can test randomness of _short_ integer sequences (the library of test programs).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?