What was the first computer used for IC testing in the 1970s?

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary: BCD decimal computers?Not all of them. The GEPAC 4010 and 4020 process computers had 24 bit words. 24 bits was nice. 8 octal digits.I think you mean 10 octal digits. Because the first person to say "eight" paid for the drinks.
George Jones said:
Fortran was my first programming language, which I learned in two high school computer science courses in grades 11 and 12 from 1976 - 78. My high school teacher was a CS grad from the University of Waterloo, so we did some good stuff, e.g., introductory numerical methods.
bold by me (thought this was fun stuff).

I wish my high school would have had computer courses. I only was able to learn Fortran when in college. :oldcry:

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
I don't know the first computer I used, because it was accessed via a teletype and telephone modem. It was 1969, and the class was being introduced to BASIC. I later learned FORTRAN, PLC, APL, Pascal during the 1970s. FORTRAN was mostly done with punch cards on time-shared systems at the university (IBM or Sperry). APL was done on a video terminal (and I think tape), and I think PLC was also. FORTRAN was mostly what I used through undergrad and grad school, and professionally. I still use legacy code written in FORTRAN, although much of it has been upgraded to modern versions. I've had experience with C++, which I dislike.

At the second university, undergrad engineering students shared resources with science students, all using the computer science mainframes (IBMs). The Engineering School then (1980s) decided to get its own computing system, which started as DEC VAX-11/750 and got upgraded to VAX8650/8800 cluster (I used some pre-internet connections to run remotely on computers at NASA-MSC). During the 1980s, each engineering and science department received PCs and workstations, and we built our own networks. Computing systems have gotten more elaborate since, but I haven't kept up.

jedishrfu said:
When i did one pgm at college in 1970 and saw the battle for the keypunch and the interminable wait. I decided to forego computers and just focus on my physics and math.
YES. I remember one evening (probably 1971) being at the computer center trying to get my FORTRAN program to run when I had an epiphany. Looking around me at the disheveled and forlorn souls hopelessly and repeatedly feeding decks of cards to the holy computer operator, I realized that these machines worked only by sucking the mental energy from all sentient beings nearby, and I treated them accordingly from that point forward .
I didn't really enjoy computing again until I got a commodore 64 and took a fancy to writing 6502 (6510) machine code. I think my lunar lander program (with real time out-the-window views) was pretty good. Truth be told it was the last computer I really knew everything about and I enjoyed that very much.

Likes DaveE and anorlunda
@hutchphd I too had a similar epiphany though it was with the Altair 680 then the TRS-80 and then the Commodore 64. I liked the VIC-20 but it was just too limiting. I really liked the Atari 800 but it was too pricey being just married and having no cash.

I remember that there was a sales event where Commodore would give you a $100 off a Commodore 64 if you traded in a game. A coworker suggested a cheap $10 pong game from Kaybee Toys.

At the time, I decided to buy a 64 just before the trade-in expired Commodore dropped the price a $100 and still honored the trade-in so I effectively got the machine for $200 less at around $199.

With it color and ease of use, I just loved playing with the sprites which were so much easier to program than the Atari 800 machine player-missile graphics. The nearest you can get to that feeling of programming freedom now is the Processing IDE where with a few lines of code you can write a simple drawing program.

Likes dlgoff and hutchphd
hutchphd said:
Truth be told it was the last computer I really knew everything about and I enjoyed that very much.
The Commodore 64 and its contemporaries were the last generation of (general purpose) computers that anyone knew everything about. The complexity of every level of a modern system, from pipelined, branch predicting CPU cores, through multi-level caches to optimising compilers and language runtimes with automatic garbage collection it is simply not feasible to comprehend the state of any non-trivial system at any given moment.

Likes hutchphd
pbuk said:
The Commodore 64 and its contemporaries were the last generation of (general purpose) computers that anyone knew everything about. The complexity of every level of a modern system, from pipelined, branch predicting CPU cores, through multi-level caches to optimising compilers and language runtimes with automatic garbage collection it is simply not feasible to comprehend the state of any non-trivial system at any given moment.
In a recent thread another member asked these questions (https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-software-from-the-hardware-activity.1008862/):
Suppose one knows well the laws of physics but knows nothing about computers and IT. Would one be able to deduce how a computer works only by studying its hardware? Could one rebuild the software code and understand its meaning only by looking at the internal flow of bits in its CPU?
For the reasons listed by @pbuk, my thought was that these tasks would be difficult at best, and maybe impossible.

Likes Astronuc
Mark44 said:
For the reasons listed by @pbuk, my thought was that these tasks would be difficult at best, and maybe impossible.
I think that's too discouraging. It depends on what you mean by "a computer". Many young people today could follow those Ben Eater videos to make a functioning computer on their desk, program it, and watch the results. The impossible part comes when you say "a computer" means a modern PC or equivalent.

Students still take Economics 101, even though nobody is capable of really understanding everything about a national economy. I think it's sad when the educators tell us that there's no room in the curriculum for a Computers 101 course, taking 3 months to build a computer and to write a "hello world" program.

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff
anorlunda said:
I think that's too discouraging. It depends on what you mean by "a computer".
The context for @pbuk and me was computers after C64 and presumably to include computers after 8086/8 to 80286 PCs.
anorlunda said:
Many young people today could follow those Ben Eater videos to make a functioning computer on their desk
Sure, but as I recall he was using a 6502 processor, which is similar to the CPU in the Commodores (Vic 20 and C64). In the thread I quoted, the premise was someone who knew nothing about computers, but did know the laws of physics. With the stipulation that "a computer" means something produced in this century, I stand by my remarks.

anorlunda said:
I think that's too discouraging. It depends on what you mean by "a computer". Many young people today could follow those Ben Eater videos to make a functioning computer on their desk, program it, and watch the results. The impossible part comes when you say "a computer" means a modern PC or equivalent.
Mark44's assessment is reasonable, and I agree. Even with a good knowledge of physics, it would be difficult to know how a computer chip actually works without some specialized education.

I remember vividly the time (~1977/1978), when the physics department at a university was desperately searching for someone to program a microprocessor, grad or undergrad. Anyone capable would have received full tuition and expenses from the department. I never followed up, but I suspect some CompSci/CompEng/EE students came to the rescue.

I had been exposed to how microcircuits worked and TTL, but I didn't find it as interesting as other topic related to radiation, astrophysics and particle physics, on top of all the other stuff I had to learn.

Thinking back, the first computer I had was a pencil and sheet of paper, followed later by a K+E slide rule (supplementing the pencil and paper), then an SR-51 calculator. The unidentified computer accessed though a teletype came between the paper and slide rule.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes dlgoff
Astronuc said:
a K+E slide rule, SR-51 calculator
I still have both of these. At one time I posted photos of these (must have been many years ago though)

dlgoff said:
I still have both of these. At one time I posted photos of these (must have been many years ago though)
A classmate in 11th grade had an SR-10, and then upgraded to an SR-11 in 12th grade. He used to do physics and chemistry problems to 6 or more decimal places, while the rest of us used slide rules. Between 11th and 12th grade, I encountered my first HP-35. At some point, I purchased an SR-51. After I received my bachelor's degree, I received a TI-58C. Then later I purchased an HP-41CX, which I still have and use almost every day. Someone dumped an HP-41CX at work, so I snagged that one, too. So I have two.

• Love
Likes dlgoff
DaveE said:
IMSAI 8080 was my first hands-on computer.
I bought one of those in Topeka, Kansas when they first came out. Don't know what ever happened to it though.

Likes jedishrfu and DaveE
HP 2100S:

HP2100S.jpg

Likes jedishrfu and anorlunda
My how you all are dating yourselves! Well my first computer experience was also in the early 70's using punch card machines for class. I remember the feel and sounds in my head very well. I always loved the smoothness and clicking of the mechanical operation of the machine when making cards. In the mid 70's in grad school those machines gave way to terminals and Vax computers in awesome high tech rooms with raised floors and many large tape drives sorting out data from high energy particle experiments.

I missed the era of general slide rules by just a bit but I did use a round flight computer when I learned how to fly.

Likes anorlunda
We aren't dating ourselves, we're dating other people and reminiscing about the hay day of computers when folks dreamed of having one at home.

Now that we do we wish to go back in time to when we didn't and thus deny the existence of viruses, malware, internet scams, spam and myriad other headaches of today.

Dreams of a simpler time, sitting under an apple tree and pondering the existence of all things.

jedishrfu said:
We aren't dating ourselves, we're dating other people
The wife won't allow me to date other people...

• Haha
Likes Ibix, Borg, jedishrfu and 1 other person
@jedishrfu said:
Dreams of a simpler time, sitting under an apple tree and pondering the existence of all things.

You mean like this guy?

1640509049293.png

Can't you guys just leave well enough alone?

sysprog said:
You mean like this guy?

View attachment 294753

Can't you guys just leave well enough alone?
If I remember correctly, he was staying at home because of a pandemic when he was pondering these things.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu and sysprog
bob012345 said:
If I remember correctly, he was staying at home because of a pandemic when he was pondering these things.
Nd9GcT-kg0D7mdTM7pn556gfj4lA-bFUt3NmUfLTw&usqp=CAU.jpg

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu