1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile and gravitation problem

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A body is fired vertically from the ground of the Earth with a velocity [tex]v_0=1km/s[/tex]. If the gravitational force is not considered as constant and supposing that the Earth is a sphere of radius [tex]6371km[/tex],
    a)Find the maximum height reached by the body.
    b)Compare the previous result with the same experience if g is a constant. (That is [tex]9.8 m/s^2[/tex].)

2. Relevant equations [tex]r_{max}=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{r_0}-\frac{v_0^2}{2GM_E}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution I found the formula above in my class notes. If I understand it well, it gives "[tex]r_{max}[/tex]", which I interpret as the distance of a body from the center of the Earth. [tex]r_0[/tex] is the radius of the Earth and [tex]M_E[/tex] is the mass of the Earth.
    I don't know how to find this formula so I think I will have to learn it by heart (sadly...). If you know how to reach to it, please let me know.
    Now using the formula, I found that the projectile will reach [tex]6690.36km[/tex]! Oh wait.... this is the height from the center of the Earth, not the ground as I thought... So it's probably right then.
    Because for the b) I get that it reach only [tex]51.020km[/tex], but it is from the ground of the Earth. Now that I think it makes about [tex]319 km[/tex] (if g is not a constant), I think it's too much, isn't it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Projectile/gravitation

You are right, forget the formula. It's too specific to a particular problem. The concept you want is that the sum of the gravitational potential energy (PE) and kinetic energy (KE) is a constant. If you consider the gravitation force to be constant PE=mgr. If you use Newton PE=-G*M*m/r. 319km does seem like a bit much. I agree with your 51.02km for the constant g and g doesn't vary so much near the Earth.
  4. Sep 10, 2008 #3

Gold Member

Re: Projectile/gravitation

Thank you very much. I'll try it tomorrow, if I have any problem I'll ask for further help, but I think all will be all right.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?