1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile: Given V0, h, show d=(v0/g)sqrt((v0)^2-4gh)

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A projectile is fired from a gun (adjusted to give maximum range) with velocity [tex]v_{0}[/tex]. The projectile passes through two points at a height h. The problem asks us to show that [tex]d=\frac{v_{0}}{g}\sqrt{v^{2}_{0}-4gh}[/tex]
    where d is the distance between the two points at height h.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]r=v_{0}t+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex]
    [tex]v=v_{0}+at[/tex]
    [tex]x= \frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to get a quadratic function of x:
    [tex]0=\frac{g}{v^{2}_{0}}x^{2}-x+h[/tex]

After manipulation using the quadratic formula, all I can see is:
    [tex]x=\frac{v^{2}_{0}}{2g}+\frac{1}{v_{0}}\sqrt{v^{2}_{0}-4gh}[/tex]

Which just looks so close but I'm killing myself in trying to see how it is either (1) wrong or (2) able to be simplified.

EDIT: [tex]x=\frac{v^{2}_{0}}{2g}+\frac{1}{2gv_{0}}\sqrt{v^{2}_{0}-4gh}[/tex], sorry.

Help?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2
    Does anyone even have any suggestions? This is actually due in about an hour and a half. I'm not heartbroken or anything but I'm feeling pretty annoyed that I might not get this problem. I honestly can't see what's going wrong here. Any creative suggestions or strong nudges are totally welcome.

Thanks...

4. Sep 12, 2008 #3
    Alright, so, I currently have the following written on my paper:

[tex]x= \frac{v^{2}_{0} \pm v_{0} \sqrt{v^{2}_{0}-4gh}}{2g} [/tex]

I can't find the correction that makes this into the formula asked for.

5. Sep 12, 2008 #4
    Ahhhhhhh... So, this one was staring me in the face. Done and with 20 minutes to spare.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?