Projectile Launching Problem. Solve with kinematics

In summary, a cow, fired from a medieval catapault, travels a horizontal distance of 1375 m and lands in a depression 39 m below its starting position. If the angle of launch is changed to 37 degrees above the horizontal, the speed of the cow changes.
DeerHunter

Homework Statement

A cow, with a mass of 327 kg, if fired from a medieval catapault, and travels a horizontal distance of 1375 m. It lands in a depression 39 m below its starting position. If it is launched at an angle of 37.0[tex]\circ[/tex] above the horizontal, find its initial speed.

Givens
HOR
[tex]\Delta[/tex] dx= 1375
V1x= ?
ax= 0m/s2
v2x=v1x

VER
[tex]\Delta[/tex] dy= -39 m
v1y= ?
ay= -9.81m/s2
v2y=?

[tex]\Delta[/tex] T=?

Homework Equations

[tex]
v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x
[/tex]
[tex]
x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2
[/tex]
[tex]
v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied my vertical and horizontal displacements by 39.0* (i.e. dx= 1375*cos37) but I am not sure if this is right or if I should only use that for the velocity's only. Also I am not sure where to go from here all relevant equations require at least v1x,v2x,v1y,v2y and/or t. One last thing, I am not sure how mass is to be used as I am suppose to solve with kinematics, not forces but I could be wrong. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
"I multiplied my vertical and horizontal displacements by 39.0* (i.e. dx= 1375*cos37)"

I don't really understand what you're doing here. If you denote the initial speed as V and you know the angle of launch is 37 degrees, then the initial horizontal component of velocity is Vcos37. Likewise, the initial vertical component is Vsin37. I don't see why you need to multiply the range(horizontal displacement) by cos37.

Oh, and in your "Relevant equations", I think you meant your first eqn to be: v = v_0 + at.

As with most projectile motions questions, you use those equations on the x and y directions to obtain 2 expressions. You can then link these expressions together to obtain your answer.

I think the working out is going to get rather messy for this particular question though.

quanticism said:
I don't really understand what you're doing here. If you denote the initial speed as V and you know the angle of launch is 37 degrees, then the initial horizontal component of velocity is Vcos37. Likewise, the initial vertical component is Vsin37. I don't see why you need to multiply the range(horizontal displacement) by cos37.

I am sorry, after I posted this I realized that this would do nothing. I just tried something because I was running out of ideas. My only other idea would be to use this equation for y as max height for v2y is 0 m/s. (Correct me if this is wrong)
[tex]

v1y^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x

[/tex]

but eliminate v_0^2.

My hint would be to use:

v[tex]^{2}[/tex] = u[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 2(a)(s)
v = u + at

(Here , v = final velocity, u = initial velocity, a = acceleration, s = displacement)

on the vertical direction to find an expression for the time of flight. Alternately, you could use equation 2 directly to find the time but you'll need to solve a rather messy quadratic.

Then use equation 2 on the horizontal direction and everything should fall into place.

I believe the working out will become messy so if anyone has more elegant ways of doing it, please post.

quanticism said:
My hint would be to use:

v[tex]^{2}[/tex] = u[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 2(a)(s)
v = u + at

(Here , v = final velocity, u = initial velocity, a = acceleration, s = displacement)

on the vertical direction to find an expression for the time of flight. Alternately, you could use equation 2 directly to find the time but you'll need to solve a rather messy quadratic.

Then use equation 2 on the horizontal direction and everything should fall into place.

Thank you very much!
What I did for here was make a equation for time of flight
dx=v1*cos37* t +1/2 at^2
1375=v1x*cos37*t
[tex]\Delta[/tex] t= 1372/v1*cos37

now that i have [tex]\Delta[/tex] t I have inserted it into my vertical equation so
dy=v1y*cos37* t +1/2 at^2
-39=v1*sin37*(1372/v1*cos37) + 1/2 (-9.81)(1372/v1*cos37)^2
Vsin37= -4.905(1372/v1*cos37)^2(-39) /(1372/v1*cos37)

I'm going to play around with this and update with new info. You're right in saying this is a messy equation haha. Thanks again!

1. What is a projectile launching problem?

A projectile launching problem is a type of physics problem that involves finding the trajectory of an object that is launched or thrown into the air. This can include objects such as balls, bullets, or rockets.

2. How do you solve a projectile launching problem using kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion, and it can be used to solve projectile launching problems by using equations that relate an object's initial velocity, its acceleration, and its displacement. These equations, such as the kinematic equations, can help determine the object's position, velocity, and acceleration at different points along its trajectory.

3. What are the key factors to consider when solving a projectile launching problem?

When solving a projectile launching problem, it is important to consider the object's initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, the force of gravity, and any other external forces acting on the object. It is also important to account for air resistance, which can affect the object's trajectory.

4. Can you give an example of a projectile launching problem and its solution using kinematics?

One example of a projectile launching problem is a ball being thrown at an angle of 30 degrees with an initial velocity of 20 m/s. Using kinematics, we can calculate the ball's horizontal and vertical velocities, as well as its maximum height and the time it takes to reach its peak. This information can then be used to determine the ball's trajectory.

5. How can projectile launching problems be applied in real-life situations?

Projectile launching problems have many real-life applications, such as in sports like baseball or basketball, where players need to calculate the trajectory of a ball to make a successful throw or shot. These problems can also be used in engineering, such as in designing and launching rockets or projectiles for military purposes.