Projectiles launched at complementary angles

In summary, the homework statement states that a projectile can reach the same range if it is launched from two different angles, as long as the point (x, y) is within the parabola of safety.
Bunny-chan

Homework Statement

a) Show that for a given velocity [itex]V_0[/itex] a projectile can reach the same range [itex]R[/itex] from two different angles [itex]\theta = 45 + \delta[/itex] and [itex]\theta = 45 - \delta[/itex], as long as [itex]R[/itex] doesn't go over the maximum range [itex]R_{max} = \frac{V_0^2}{g}[/itex]. Calculate [itex]\delta[/itex] in function of [itex]V_0[/itex] and [itex]R[/itex].

b) Generalize your previous result, showing that a projectile launched from the ground with an initial velocity [itex]V_0[/itex] can reach a point [itex](x, y)[/itex] from two different angles, as long as the point [itex](x, y)[/itex] is within the parabola of safety:[tex]y = \displaystyle{\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{V_0^2}{g} - \frac{x^2}{\frac{V_0^2}{g}}\right)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Will edit if there is need of any.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far this was my progress:

First in regards to a), I went ahead to show that complementar angles resulted in the same range:[tex]\frac{V_0^2sin(2 \theta)}{g} = \frac{V_0^2sin(2 \times 90- \theta)}{g} = \frac{V_0^2sin(180 - \theta)}{g}\Longleftrightarrow sin \theta = sin(180 - \theta)[/tex]From that, I continued:[tex]R = \frac{V_0^2sen(90-2 \delta)}{g} \Rightarrow Rg = V_0^2cos(2 \delta) \Rightarrow cos(2 \delta) = \frac{Rg}{V_0^2} \Rightarrow \delta = \frac{1}{2}cos^{-1}\left(\frac{Rg}{V_0^2}\right)[/tex]My initial question is wether the first part of my demonstration was satisfactory, because for some reason I don't really think it was, considering I didn't include the [itex]\theta = 45 \pm \delta[/itex] on it...

And now for the b) part, I tried to consider the position equations:[tex]x(t)=(V_0cos \theta)t \\ y(t)=(V_0sin \theta)t - \frac{gt^2}{2}[/tex]By eliminating t, we have:[tex]y = xtan \theta - \frac{g}{2} \frac{x^2}{V_0^2 cos^2 \theta}[/tex]And now I don't know how can I continue the demonstration... x___x

I'd really appreciate some feedback on both of these problems!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bunny-chan said:
I went ahead to show that complementar angles resulted in the same range
you may have lost something on the way. We can't tell if you don't post your steps :smile: so please guide us...
Bunny-chan said:
demonstration was satisfactory
It's not totally incorrect but somewhat trivial. It's not what the exercise composer meant :rolleyes: .

BvU said:
you may have lost something on the way. We can't tell if you don't post your steps :smile: so please guide us...
It's not totally incorrect but somewhat trivial. It's not what the exercise composer meant :rolleyes: .
Uhm. I'm confused now. What did I lose? D:
Doesn't that notation imply they are complementar?

And yes, I realized it's not really what was asked, but I don't know how should I proceed.

The range R is given by V02sin(2θ)/g. The sin(2θ) solves part (a).

For part (b), the parabola of safety is the parabola centered at x = 0, whose height is the maximum height of ½V02/g and maximum range is ±V02/g. To show that any point under this envelope can occur twice, use

sec2θ = 1 + tan2θ

to reduce your bottom most equation to

αtan2θ + βtanθ + δ = 0,

where the coefficients are in terms of x and y. tanθ ranges as (-∞,∞), so all θ in the range (-π/2,π/2) are viable.

How do you solve ##\frac{V_0^2\sin(2 \theta)}{g} = X## ?
$$\frac{V_0^2\sin(2 \theta)}{g} \ne \frac{V_0^2\sin(\pi- \theta)}{g} $$Instead you want to solve
$$\frac{V_0^2\sin(2 \theta)}{g} = \frac{V_0^2\sin(\pi- 2\theta)}{g} $$
(note: use \sin instead of sin in ##\LaTeX##)

Bunny-chan said:
So far this was my progress:

First in regards to a), I went ahead to show that complementar angles resulted in the same range:
V20sin(2θ)g=V20sin(2×90−θ)g=V20sin(180−θ)g⟺sinθ=sin(180−θ)​
\frac{V_0^2sin(2 \theta)}{g} = \frac{V_0^2sin(2 \times 90- \theta)}{g} = \frac{V_0^2sin(180 - \theta)}{g}\Longleftrightarrow sin \theta = sin(180 - \theta)From that, I continued:
R=V20sen(90−2δ)g⇒Rg=V20cos(2δ)⇒cos(2δ)=RgV20⇒δ=12cos−1(RgV20)​
R = \frac{V_0^2sen(90-2 \delta)}{g} \Rightarrow Rg = V_0^2cos(2 \delta) \Rightarrow cos(2 \delta) = \frac{Rg}{V_0^2} \Rightarrow \delta = \frac{1}{2}cos^{-1}\left(\frac{Rg}{V_0^2}\right)My initial question is wether the first part of my demonstration was satisfactory, because for some reason I don't really think it was, considering I didn't include the θ=45±δ\theta = 45 \pm \delta on it...

Hmm! If you start from:

##R_{\pm} = \frac{V_0^2}{g} \sin(2\theta) = \frac{V_0^2}{g} \sin(90 \pm 2\delta)##

I suggest you can simply state that these are equal by symmetry of the ##\sin## function. And every value strictly between ##0## and ##R_{max}## is possible by continuity of the ##\sin## function.

PS Although, I see you have to calculate ##\delta## in any case.

Last edited:
Likes cnh1995
Bunny-chan said:
b) Generalize your previous result, showing that a projectile launched from the ground with an initial velocity V0V_0 can reach a point (x,y)(x, y) from two different angles, as long as the point (x,y)(x, y) is within the parabola of safety:
y=12⎛⎜⎝V20g−x2V20g⎞⎟⎠​

This is not strictly correct, as points vertically above the launch point can only be reached by one angle.

Likes cnh1995
Gear300 said:
The range R is given by V02sin(2θ)/g. The sin(2θ) solves part (a).

For part (b), the parabola of safety is the parabola centered at x = 0, whose height is the maximum height of ½V02/g and maximum range is ±V02/g. To show that any point under this envelope can occur twice, use

sec2θ = 1 + tan2θ

to reduce your bottom most equation to

αtan2θ + βtanθ + δ = 0,

where the coefficients are in terms of x and y. tanθ ranges as (-∞,∞), so all θ in the range (-π/2,π/2) are viable.
I'm sorry, I didn't really follow what you mean x_x. But here's what I tried:

Noting [itex]R_{max} = \frac{V_0^2}{g}[/itex] and [itex]r = \tan \theta[/itex], we find a quadratic equation for [itex]r[/itex]: [tex]y = rx- \left( \frac{1+r^2}{2R_{max}} \right) x^2[/tex]Which we rewrite as[tex]x^2r^2-(2R_{max})r + (2R_{max}y + x^2) = 0[/tex]The equation has two real solutions if[tex](R_{max}x^2)-x^2(2R_{max}y + x^2) \geq 0[/tex]or[tex]2R_{max}x^2 \left[ \frac{1}{2}\left(R_{max}-\frac{x^2}{R_{max}}\right)-y\right] \geq 0[/tex]which means (x, y) is a point within the parabola. What do you guys think?

PeroK said:
This is not strictly correct, as points vertically above the launch point can only be reached by one angle.
Yes, that's true, but still, I need to suggest a solution. D:

Bunny-chan said:
Yes, that's true, but still, I need to suggest a solution. D:

You could set up a quadratic equation in ##\tan \theta## then use the discriminant to identify in terms of ##x## and ##y## when it has two solutions.

PeroK said:
You could set up a quadratic equation in ##\tan \theta## then use the discriminant to identify in terms of ##x## and ##y## when it has two solutions.
Yes, I did that, check my above comments.
Do you think it's good?

Bunny-chan said:
I'm sorry, I didn't really follow what you mean x_x. But here's what I tried:

Noting [itex]R_{max} = \frac{V_0^2}{g}[/itex] and [itex]r = \tan \theta[/itex], we find a quadratic equation for [itex]r[/itex]: [tex]y = rx- \left( \frac{1+r^2}{2R_{max}} \right) x^2[/tex]Which we rewrite as[tex]x^2r^2-(2R_{max})r + (2R_{max}y + x^2) = 0[/tex]The equation has two real solutions if[tex](R_{max}x^2)-x^2(2R_{max}y + x^2) \geq 0[/tex]or[tex]2R_{max}x^2 \left[ \frac{1}{2}\left(R_{max}-\frac{x^2}{R_{max}}\right)-y\right] \geq 0[/tex]which means (x, y) is a point within the parabola. What do you guys think?

I think it's right, but setting ##R_{max}## equal to half of what it should be was confusing.

PeroK said:
I think it's right, but setting ##R_{max}## equal to half of what it should be was confusing.
Hmm... But why half? That's the value the exercise gives.

Last edited:
Bunny-chan said:
Hmm... But why half? that's the value the exercise gives.

Yes, you're right.

PeroK said:
Yes, you're right.
Thank you! By the way, what do you think in regards to a)? Is there a way I could make the answer more appropriate or is it fine?

Re part a), I would prefer:

##R_{\pm} = \frac{V_0^2}{g} \sin(2\theta_{\pm}) = \frac{V_0^2}{g} \sin(90 \pm 2\delta) = R_{max} \cos(2\delta)##

PeroK said:
Re part a), I would prefer:

##R_{\pm} = \frac{V_0^2}{g} \sin(2\theta_{\pm}) = \frac{V_0^2}{g} \sin(90 \pm 2\delta) = R_{max} \cos(2\delta)##
That seems good. Thanks a lot!

1. What are complementary angles in relation to projectile motion?

Complementary angles in projectile motion refer to two angles that add up to a 90-degree angle. In other words, when two projectiles are launched at complementary angles, they will create a 90-degree angle between their paths.

2. How do complementary angles affect the trajectory of a projectile?

When two projectiles are launched at complementary angles, their paths will intersect at the highest point of their trajectories. This means that they will reach the same maximum height and have the same range.

3. What is the optimal angle for launching projectiles for maximum range?

The optimal angle for launching projectiles for maximum range is 45 degrees. This is because when two projectiles are launched at complementary angles of 45 degrees, their paths will create a 90-degree angle, resulting in the maximum range.

4. How do complementary angles impact the speed and velocity of a projectile?

Complementary angles do not directly impact the speed and velocity of a projectile. However, they do affect the direction of the projectile's motion and can result in the same maximum height and range.

5. Can complementary angles be used to increase the accuracy of projectiles?

Yes, complementary angles can be used to increase the accuracy of projectiles. By launching two projectiles at complementary angles, the chances of hitting a target increases as the projectiles will intersect at the highest point of their trajectories.