How to find initial velocity without being given time

In summary, a projectile is launched at an angle of 26.5 above the horizontal with a height of 1.11m and a range of 2.331m. Using the kinematic equations, the initial velocity can be calculated to be 5.35m/s and the time of flight to be 0.49s. There may be variations in the use of variables such as u and s for initial velocity and distance, respectively, in different regions.
Qwerty123!

Homework Statement

a projectile is launched at an angle of 26.5 above the horizontal at a height of 1.11m. the range is 2.331m. find the initial velocity and time given that acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

first, I split the velocity into its components:

v1x = v1cos26.5
v1y = v1cos26.5

then,
v1x = dx/t
v1cos26.5 = dx/t
rearranged to isolate for time since it is not given:
t = dx/ v1cos26.5

also, using the kinematic equation: v2y^2 = v1y^2 + 2at
and since at the projectile's max, v2y = 0m/s and since the max occurs at t*(0.5) ***(but I think this is inaccurate because the projectile does not land at the same height in which it was released)

so,
v2y^2 = v1y^2 + 2at
0 = v1y^2 + 2(9.8)(t/2)

then isolate for t again,

t = 2(v1y)^2 / 4.9
or
t = 2(v1sin26.5)^2 / 4.9

then make each isolated time equation equal one another:

dx/v1cos26.5 = 2(v1sin26.5)^2 / 4.9

then isolate for v1:
v1 = sqrt( 4.9*dx / (sin26.5cos26.5) )
since dx = 2.331,
v1 = sqrt( 4.9*2.331/ (sin26.5cos26.5) )
v1= 5.35m/s

Therefore, v1 = 5.35m/s

then for time,
v1x = dx/t
t = dx/v1cos26.5
= 2.331 / 5.35cos(26.5)
= 0.487s

Therefore, t = 0.49s

Physics news on Phys.org
Qwerty123! said:
using the kinematic equation: v2y^2 = v1y^2 + 2at
Hi Qwerty123!. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

The correct equation is v2 = u2 + 2as :(

See how you go now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes M P
Thanks for replying. :). I'm not familiar with the variables u and s?

Qwerty123! said:
Thanks for replying. :). I'm not familiar with the variables u and s?
It's a common convention to let u be the initial velocity and s represent distance ("s"pace I suppose).

NascentOxygen said:
Hi Qwerty123!

The correct equation is v2 = u2 + 2as :(

See how you go now.
Maybe you'd like it as: v2y^2 = v1y^2 + 2.a.d
where that last term involves the y component of acceleration times distance in y direction.

Check your course notes.

gneill said:
It's a common convention to let u be the initial velocity and s represent distance ("s"pace I suppose).
This actually varies between countries and even states. For example in Victoria, Australia, x is used for distances. However Queensland uses s.

I can't remember where I saw it but there's a webpage out there that lists the most common ones.

1. How can I find the initial velocity without being given the time?

The equation for velocity is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. If we rearrange this equation to solve for u, we get u = v - at. So, to find the initial velocity without time, you will need to know the final velocity and the acceleration.

2. Can I use a different equation to find the initial velocity?

Yes, there are other equations that can be used to find initial velocity without time. One example is the equation for average velocity, which is v = (u + v)/2. By rearranging this equation, we can solve for u as u = 2v - v. Another equation that can be used is v = u + 2as, where s is the displacement. We can rearrange this equation to solve for u as u = v - 2as.

3. What if I don't know the acceleration?

If you do not know the acceleration, it may not be possible to find the initial velocity without time. However, you may be able to estimate the acceleration based on other known factors, such as the distance traveled or the force applied.

4. Is there a way to find the initial velocity if I only know the displacement?

Yes, there are equations that can be used to find the initial velocity with only the displacement. One example is the conservation of energy equation, which states that the initial kinetic energy (KE) is equal to the final kinetic energy. This equation can be written as (1/2)mu^2 = (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass and u is the initial velocity. By rearranging this equation, we can solve for u as u = √(v^2 - (2gΔs)), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and Δs is the displacement.

5. Can I use calculus to find the initial velocity without time?

Yes, you can use calculus to find the initial velocity without time. By taking the derivative of the position function, we can find the velocity function. Then, by plugging in the initial position and final position, we can solve for the initial velocity. However, this method may only work for simple motion and may not be practical for all situations.