Projectile montion Problem given the Inital Velocity and Angle to horizontal

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
keithc
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi All,
I am struggling to work out the following:
Q: A football is kicked at an angle of 32.50 to the horizontal, with an initial velocity of 42m/s. Assume air resistance is negligible.
A) Find the Balls Velocity at max Height
B) The Balls Acceleratoin Vector at max Height

I have so far worked out the following:
The balls Max height has worked out to be 25.68 m
The Travel time is 8.57 s
and the Distance traveled is 303.5494m
But not sure where to go with this next to figure out the A) and B) parts.
I would very grateful for any help on this.
Thx, K
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If the method of solution is shown one can give help in a more suitable way.
 
You don't need any of the 3 things you have figured out in order to get the 2 that you need. In fact, the 3 that you have figured out are quite a bit more complicated then the 2 you are asking about. You are WAAYY over thinking it.
 
Hi All, thanks for looking and inputs. I am new to physics hence I have probably asked a silly question. But if don't ask I will never learn..
Thx again, K
 
Not yet ! Still hitting my head of this ball.. hehe.. I am lost as to where to go with my calc's. If I do I will post how I got there hopefully!
 
Start by breaking your initial velocity down into vertical and horizontal components. What is factors are going to influence each component while the football is in flight?
 
I think I have worked out the velocity at the max height. Not too sure if I am correct or not.
The vertical velocity is 0 so that means that the horizontal velocity worked out by
42. cos 32.5 degs= 35.422 m/s is the same as the velocity at max height or am I totally off with this??
Thx K
 
Right on. Now the acceleration question is the easiest of all. Since we are neglecting air resistance there is only one other force to consider...