1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion and initial speed

1. Oct 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

From a height of 23 m, a ball is thrown horizontally. If it hits the ground with a speed that is three times its initial speed, what is the initial speed?

vertical: a = -9.8, x = -23, t = ?, V0=?, V = 3V0
    horizontal: ?
    x is displacement

2. Relevant equations
    Possibly relevant:
    V = Vo + at
    x-x0 = Vot + .5at2
    x-x0 = Vt - .5at2
    x-x0 = .5(V0+ v)t
    V2 = V02 + 2a(x-x0)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Seems simple, but I have tried and cannot do this problem. Seems like there is not enough info.

Solving the system of the following equations for vertical motion
    x-x0 = Vot + .5at2
    x-x0 = Vt - .5at2
    found that t = 2.1447, but I am not sure if this is correct. After that I just didn't know what to do. For horizontal movement, it seems like there is only time and the fact that the final velocity is 3 times the initial velocity.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2009 #2
    Your time for t is basically correct, though the number I got is slightly off. I get 2.17 for some reason.

Using t, you can also find the final velocity in the y direction.

After that, it's simple vector algebra. You know the Vfx vector and the Vfy vector. You know that the Vf vector is 3 times the Vox vector.

So, you have enough information. Just set up the vectors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook