1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion and maximum angle

1. Jan 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A projectile is thrown from a point P. It moves in such a way that its distance from P is always increasing. Find the maximum angle above the horizontal with which the particle could have been thrown. Ignore air resistance.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]y = v_{0}\sin{(\alpha_{0})}t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
    [tex]x = v_{0}\cos{(\alpha_{0})}t[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've looked around on here and found two threads documenting the same problem, however one was poorly explained (no algebra), and the other was misinterpreted as a range problem.

Distance from origin:

[tex]d(t, \alpha_{0}) = \sqrt{x^2+y^2}
    = t\sqrt{v_{0}^2-gtv_{0}\sin{(\alpha_{0})}+\frac{1}{4}g^2t^2}[/tex]

I've tried working from here on paper but really can't get anywhere. Differentiating wrt t gets me an inequality in terms of [tex]\alpha_{0}[/tex], [tex]v_{0}[/tex], [tex]g[/tex] and [tex]t[/tex].. but I don't know where to go from there anyway.

Any help would be appreciated. I have a feeling I'm looking at it the wrong way...

[tex]\frac{\partial d}{\partial t}(t, \alpha_{0}) = \frac{2(v_{0}^2-gtv_{0}\sin{(\alpha_{0})}+\frac{1}{4}g^2t^2)+t(\frac{1}{2}g^2t-gv_{0}\sin{(\alpha_{0})})}{2\sqrt{v_{0}^2-gtv_{0}\sin{(\alpha_{0})}+\frac{1}{4}g^2t^2}} = \frac{2v_{0}^2-3gtv_{0}\sin{(\alpha_{0})}+g^2t^2}{2\sqrt{v_{0}^2-gtv_{0}\sin{(\alpha_{0})}+\frac{1}{4}g^2t^2}}[/tex]

So:

[tex]2v_{0}^2-3gtv_{0}\sin{(\alpha_{0})}+g^2t^2 > 0[/tex]
    [tex]\alpha_{0} < \arcsin{\left(\frac{2v_{0}}{3gt}+\frac{gt}{3v_{0}}\right)}[/tex]

Where it's known that:

[tex]v_{0}^2-gtv_{0}\sin{(\alpha_{0})}+\frac{1}{4}g^2t^2 > 0[/tex]

I honestly have no ****ing idea if I'm even close.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2008 #2
    [tex]d^2 = x^2 + y^2 = v_{0x}^2 t^2 + v_{0y}^2 t^2 - v_{0y} g t^3 + \frac{1}{4}g^2t^4[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow v_0^2 t^2 + \frac{1}{4} g^2 t^4 > v_{0y} g t^3[/tex]
    [tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{v_0^2}{t}+ \frac{1}{4} g^2 t > v_0 cos(\alpha) g[/tex]
    [tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{v_0}{g t}+ \frac{g t}{4v_0} > cos(\alpha)[/tex]
    [tex]\Leftrightarrow \alpha < arcos \left(\frac{v_0}{g t}+ \frac{g t}{4v_0}\right)[/tex]

and that has to hold for every v0, alpha and t
    not sure about this tho :P

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  4. Jan 27, 2008 #3
    Its amazing how many mistakes you can make typing something like this out in TeX. This question is from a text I use all the time, and it always explicitly states 'in terms of var1, var2...' if the solution is general. It's looking for a numerical angle :/ This leads me to believe I'm looking at this the wrong way.

5. Jan 27, 2008 #4
    yeah :)
    i am new to TeX too :'( next time i'll do it on paper first! LoL

6. Jan 28, 2008 #5
    This is starting to get extremely frustrating...

I find the same solution approaching the problem a different way.

[tex]\vec{r}(t) = (v_{0}\cos{\alpha_{0}}t)\mathbf{\hat{i}} + (v_{0}\sin{\alpha_{0}}t-\frac{1}{2}gt^2)\mathbf{\hat{j}}[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{v}(t) = (v_{0}\cos{\alpha_{0}})\mathbf{\hat{i}} + (v_{0}\sin{\alpha_{0}}-gt)\mathbf{\hat{j}}[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]\vec{r}(t)\cdot\vec{v}(t) = |\vec{r}||\vec{v}|\cos{\phi} = t(v_{0}^2-\frac{3}{2}v_{0}gt\sin{\alpha_{0} + \frac{1}{2}g^2t^2)[/tex]

Projectile is moving away from the origin if the angle [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] makes with [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] is [tex]\pm90\,^{\circ}[/tex], i.e. [tex]\cos{\phi} > 0[/tex] since [tex]|\vec{r}|, |\vec{v}|[/tex] are positive. Since t, v, g, are all known to be positive...

[tex]g^2t^2-3gtv_{0}\sin{\alpha_{0}}+2v_{0}^2 > 0[/tex]

[tex]3gtv_{0}\sin{\alpha_{0}} < 2v_{0}^2+g^2t^2[/tex]

[tex]\sin{\alpha_{0}} < \frac{2v_{0}}{3gt}+\frac{gt}{3v_{0}}[/tex]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  7. Jan 28, 2008 #6
  8. Jan 28, 2008 #7
    Cheers, got it. Shame that thread didn't come up when I searched yesterday :(

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?